Asus C.O.P as safe as P4's thermal protection?!

Dance123

Distinguished
May 30, 2003
Hi,

I was wondering if Asus C.O.P for AthlonXP CPU's is completely as safe as the thermal protection of the Pentium 4 (it's thermal throttle feature), which is build into the processor as opposed to AthlonXP where this is not the case I believe?!

Or has AMD perhaps changed all this by now so it is the same as with Pentium 4?!

Thanks in advance for all good feedback!

Mike.

eden

Champion
Isn't the whole point of COP protection to make sure the system is protected in case the heatsink no longer touches the CPU, and it overheats, and it reacts to high temps?

--
If I could see the Matrix, I'd tell you I am only seeing 0s inside your head! :tongue:

sabbath1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
In the beginning, ASUS C.O.P. did not work if you booted without heatsink, because those boards needed to be able to reach the BIOS before they could activate C.O.P, thus the CPU would still burn. However it'd survive if the fan failed or if the heatsink ever lost contact with the CPU during gaming. In short, it survived all instances except when the computer was started without heatsink. But that was with earlier boards, such as the A7V333. However I'm not sure if it works better now or not.

There's other thermal protection schemes such as ABS II, that seems to be working better, surviving every instance of thermal disaster.

However, if you use an Athlon XP or MP CPU, you still need thermal protection on the motherboard to be able to protect your processor.

AMD has already fixed the problem though, Opteron has integrated thermal protection, and so will Athlon 64 have.

My system: AMD Athlon XP 3000+ / TwinMOS 1Gb DDR400 / Soltek 75FRN-RL /
Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro / Antec True Power 550W / Western Digital Raptor / Hercules GTXP SC /
Samsung DVD / Lite-On CDRW