Windows XPhome (original) CD hosed??

August 18, 2005 2:56:36 AM

Tuesday night, I had to reinstall the OS on box 2. It is a
donated box with Win98SE and XPhome upgrader CD. During the
install process, I was prompted to Update the "setup"
component of the CD (XP-home) to the latest. During that
process, setup tried to restart itself, but later informed
me that a component of the setup chain had been altered by a
remote server, and was "No longer useable". The setup then
aborted, leaving me with W98SE-plus. After updated W98SE I
tried W-XP-h setup, receiving the same messages. When this
occurred, I stopped the setup and restarted the W98SE core,
which in turn restarted the WXPhome setup, which then went
through as it should.
This now marks the CD as a "screwed up" CD in my book-
Messed up by M$ own setup update. I may need a replacement
CD. Is there any protocol for requesting this replacement,
or am I "out-of-luck"?
--
Lester Stiefel
In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed

Lester Stiefel wrote:

> Tuesday night, I had to reinstall the OS on box 2. It is a
> donated box with Win98SE and XPhome upgrader CD. During the
> install process, I was prompted to Update the "setup"
> component of the CD (XP-home) to the latest. During that
> process, setup tried to restart itself, but later informed
> me that a component of the setup chain had been altered by a
> remote server, and was "No longer useable". The setup then
> aborted, leaving me with W98SE-plus. After updated W98SE I
> tried W-XP-h setup, receiving the same messages. When this
> occurred, I stopped the setup and restarted the W98SE core,
> which in turn restarted the WXPhome setup, which then went
> through as it should.
> This now marks the CD as a "screwed up" CD in my book-
> Messed up by M$ own setup update. I may need a replacement
> CD. Is there any protocol for requesting this replacement,
> or am I "out-of-luck"?

You really have a lot of problems with computers, don't you? I have no
idea where the prompt came from or how you were doing the upgrade, but
whatever changes to Setup were downloaded they were not downloaded to
the CD. The CD is read-only and has not been changed.

But better you should explain this strange scenario to Microsoft than
try to do it here. Give them a call:

800-426-9400 to replace a CD; 800-325-1233 if OEM dealer has gone out of
business and need to replace a CD.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

Malke
--