Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Addams Family Magnet fuses

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 5:38:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Hello; Mike here. I have a nice addams family, and I continue to see AF
pins with magnet burn on the playfield. I have a pinball party coming
up, and i really want to do the fuse mod for the magnets to prevent the
burn. Could someone who has done this mod please tell me the fuses to
use, and the connection procedure. Thanks a bunch. Mike.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 6:39:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

I use 2A slow blow fuses. I think information can still be found at Ray
Johnson's web site at
http://www.aros.net/~rayj/action/games/addams/pf8.jpg.

I bought three fuse holders that screwed into the bottom of the
playfield. You will see the wires going to each magnet. Just cut a
wire going to each magnet and put the fuse in-line with the wire. That
way, if too much current is being drawn, that fuse will blow
theoretically.

Doug
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 12:21:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

I just replaced the playfield 5amp with a2aSB.
It been working fine since Feb that way.
If it blows, I won't know right away which mag driver is the problem,
but I'll know somethings a miss.

I just hope that a 2a will really blow if the coil is stuck on-that
might be the achilles heel of my approach!

BB
Related resources
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 5:54:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

I keep seeing the same image given as reference but no clear statements on
EXACTLY which wires (by color) to be fused. Perhaps for posterity someone
can be more specific. Thanks to all. -Joshua
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 5:54:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

From a recent (11/04) post by LTG:

"Study Ray's picture. See the small board with a 7 pin and 8 pin connector ?
You want wires coming off the 7 pin connector.

Check your manual, solenoid wiring. The three wires you want are
blue-violet,
blue-gray, and brown gray.

Take these three wires, cut in half and splice a fuse in line with each
one."

You could start with 1.5a slow-blow fuses but it will probably require 2a
fuses to not blow. The lower the number, the more protection you'll have.

Randy

"Atari_2600" <atariNOSPAM@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
news:Zhwye.112728$g5.26628@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
>I keep seeing the same image given as reference but no clear statements on
>EXACTLY which wires (by color) to be fused. Perhaps for posterity someone
>can be more specific. Thanks to all. -Joshua
>
July 5, 2005 6:10:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

You are better off fusing them individually, especially if it is in
someone's house who doesn't know how to change the fuse. If you have
one fuse and it shorts, fuse blows (hopefully) and nothing works. If
each one is fused, 1 blows and the other 2 keep working (most people
probably won't notice any difference).

By the way, looking at that pic of Ray's (Action Pinball). I assume
when adding the fuses that you can eliminate the original 5 amp?
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 12:07:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

>You are better off fusing them individually, especially if it is in
>someone's house who doesn't know how to change the fuse.

I see your point, and a good idea also if the goal is to keep as much
of the game playing as possible.
For me, I want it to stop all together if there is a problem.


>By the way, looking at that pic of Ray's (Action Pinball). I assume
>when adding the fuses that you can eliminate the original 5 amp?

>From the picture, I can't tell either if the 5 amp is out of the
circuit. But it probably is just as easy to leave it in, as to wire
around it.

BB
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 12:49:15 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

What exactly causes the burn on this game? I always assumed it was just
normal heat from the magnets being turned on during gameplay. They get
HOT during normal operation. If this is the case adding fuses aint
gunna do anything, because nothing is wrong to blow the fuse. On the
other hand if a driver TIP102 shorts locking the magnet on, that
magnet's going to burn, then eventually blow the fuse. Do the drivers
short that drive these magnets? Just curiosity. I know on CV after
quite a few games those magnets are real hot. I can't see any way to
stop this.
July 6, 2005 7:57:53 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

It's TIP 36C shorting, leaving the coil indefinitely on, then it gets so hot
it browns the playfield. Those magnets are controlled by a small 3 TIP36C
board just underneath the left flipper. I have an unfinished page about it
here: http://www.txpinball.com/taf_magnet_board_fix.html

In all my Addams Families, for some weird reason it is ALWAYS the left
magnet (by the clouds) shorting, never the other 2, no clue why.

Adi
www.txpinball.com


"RonKZ650" <RonKZ650@aol.com> wrote in message
news:1120621755.464424.16150@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> What exactly causes the burn on this game? I always assumed it was just
> normal heat from the magnets being turned on during gameplay. They get
> HOT during normal operation. If this is the case adding fuses aint
> gunna do anything, because nothing is wrong to blow the fuse. On the
> other hand if a driver TIP102 shorts locking the magnet on, that
> magnet's going to burn, then eventually blow the fuse. Do the drivers
> short that drive these magnets? Just curiosity. I know on CV after
> quite a few games those magnets are real hot. I can't see any way to
> stop this.
>
!