Addams Family Magnet fuses

Hello; Mike here. I have a nice addams family, and I continue to see AF
pins with magnet burn on the playfield. I have a pinball party coming
up, and i really want to do the fuse mod for the magnets to prevent the
burn. Could someone who has done this mod please tell me the fuses to
use, and the connection procedure. Thanks a bunch. Mike.
8 answers Last reply
More about addams family magnet fuses

    I use 2A slow blow fuses. I think information can still be found at Ray
    Johnson's web site at
    http://www.aros.net/~rayj/action/games/addams/pf8.jpg.

    I bought three fuse holders that screwed into the bottom of the
    playfield. You will see the wires going to each magnet. Just cut a
    wire going to each magnet and put the fuse in-line with the wire. That
    way, if too much current is being drawn, that fuse will blow
    theoretically.

    Doug

    I just replaced the playfield 5amp with a2aSB.
    It been working fine since Feb that way.
    If it blows, I won't know right away which mag driver is the problem,
    but I'll know somethings a miss.

    I just hope that a 2a will really blow if the coil is stuck on-that
    might be the achilles heel of my approach!

    BB

    I keep seeing the same image given as reference but no clear statements on
    EXACTLY which wires (by color) to be fused. Perhaps for posterity someone
    can be more specific. Thanks to all. -Joshua

    From a recent (11/04) post by LTG:

    "Study Ray's picture. See the small board with a 7 pin and 8 pin connector ?
    You want wires coming off the 7 pin connector.

    Check your manual, solenoid wiring. The three wires you want are
    blue-violet,
    blue-gray, and brown gray.

    Take these three wires, cut in half and splice a fuse in line with each
    one."

    You could start with 1.5a slow-blow fuses but it will probably require 2a
    fuses to not blow. The lower the number, the more protection you'll have.

    Randy

    "Atari_2600" <atariNOSPAM@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
    >I keep seeing the same image given as reference but no clear statements on
    >EXACTLY which wires (by color) to be fused. Perhaps for posterity someone
    >can be more specific. Thanks to all. -Joshua

    You are better off fusing them individually, especially if it is in
    someone's house who doesn't know how to change the fuse. If you have
    one fuse and it shorts, fuse blows (hopefully) and nothing works. If
    each one is fused, 1 blows and the other 2 keep working (most people
    probably won't notice any difference).

    By the way, looking at that pic of Ray's (Action Pinball). I assume
    when adding the fuses that you can eliminate the original 5 amp?

    >You are better off fusing them individually, especially if it is in
    >someone's house who doesn't know how to change the fuse.

    I see your point, and a good idea also if the goal is to keep as much
    of the game playing as possible.
    For me, I want it to stop all together if there is a problem.

    >By the way, looking at that pic of Ray's (Action Pinball). I assume
    >when adding the fuses that you can eliminate the original 5 amp?

    >From the picture, I can't tell either if the 5 amp is out of the
    circuit. But it probably is just as easy to leave it in, as to wire
    around it.

    BB

    What exactly causes the burn on this game? I always assumed it was just
    normal heat from the magnets being turned on during gameplay. They get
    HOT during normal operation. If this is the case adding fuses aint
    gunna do anything, because nothing is wrong to blow the fuse. On the
    other hand if a driver TIP102 shorts locking the magnet on, that
    magnet's going to burn, then eventually blow the fuse. Do the drivers
    short that drive these magnets? Just curiosity. I know on CV after
    quite a few games those magnets are real hot. I can't see any way to
    stop this.

    It's TIP 36C shorting, leaving the coil indefinitely on, then it gets so hot
    it browns the playfield. Those magnets are controlled by a small 3 TIP36C
    board just underneath the left flipper. I have an unfinished page about it
    here: http://www.txpinball.com/taf_magnet_board_fix.html

    In all my Addams Families, for some weird reason it is ALWAYS the left
    magnet (by the clouds) shorting, never the other 2, no clue why.

    Adi
    www.txpinball.com

    "RonKZ650" <RonKZ650@aol.com> wrote in message
    > What exactly causes the burn on this game? I always assumed it was just
    > normal heat from the magnets being turned on during gameplay. They get
    > HOT during normal operation. If this is the case adding fuses aint
    > gunna do anything, because nothing is wrong to blow the fuse. On the
    > other hand if a driver TIP102 shorts locking the magnet on, that
    > magnet's going to burn, then eventually blow the fuse. Do the drivers
    > short that drive these magnets? Just curiosity. I know on CV after
    > quite a few games those magnets are real hot. I can't see any way to
    > stop this.

Burner Games Video Games