boot from mirror disk in Perc 2/dc

Hello,

I have to install a new Win2003 server and the system is using a Perc
2/dc raid card.

The system disk is raid 1 fron the Perc.

After the installation, I check the boot.ini, and it shows the boot
record is located on

multi(0) disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\..

Of couse, since the raid 1 is build in the Bios level and the OS won't
see the 2 drive and only reconized it as a single IDE drivr.

My question/problem,

I try to pull out the primary drive and just left the mirror drive in
the system, of couse the system cannot boot. I tried to create a boot
floppy. The question is how can i specified the boot patition ? I try
:

multi(0) disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\..

and it did not work, so, how can I boot from the mirror disk ?

Please help !

Eddie
2 answers Last reply
More about boot mirror disk perc

    since you did not mention the firmware version of your perc card then i
    suspect you didn't consider what it was or upgrading it to the latest
    version. i suggest you start wiht this... check the version of the
    firmware on the perc card (displayed during post and in the header of the
    utility when you enter it) and then check the latest available for download
    from support.dell.com

    "Eddie" <hmw@macci.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have to install a new Win2003 server and the system is using a Perc
    > 2/dc raid card.
    >
    > The system disk is raid 1 fron the Perc.
    >
    > After the installation, I check the boot.ini, and it shows the boot
    > record is located on
    >
    > multi(0) disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\..
    >
    > Of couse, since the raid 1 is build in the Bios level and the OS won't
    > see the 2 drive and only reconized it as a single IDE drivr.
    >
    > My question/problem,
    >
    > I try to pull out the primary drive and just left the mirror drive in
    > the system, of couse the system cannot boot. I tried to create a boot
    > floppy. The question is how can i specified the boot patition ? I try
    > :
    >
    > multi(0) disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\..
    >
    > and it did not work, so, how can I boot from the mirror disk ?
    >
    > Please help !
    >
    > Eddie

    It should still boot if you pull out the primary drive as the raid
    controller takes care of booting off the array. You don't have to do
    software changes.
    What model server? BIOS rev?
    What is the firmware rev of the card?

    Your comment of installing a new Win2003 server and system using a PERC2/DC
    card doesn't really match as the PERC2/DC is a really old card noe.
    Also you says single IDE drive - the PERC2/DC is SCSI!!

    "Eddie" <hmw@macci.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have to install a new Win2003 server and the system is using a Perc
    > 2/dc raid card.
    >
    > The system disk is raid 1 fron the Perc.
    >
    > After the installation, I check the boot.ini, and it shows the boot
    > record is located on
    >
    > multi(0) disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\..
    >
    > Of couse, since the raid 1 is build in the Bios level and the OS won't
    > see the 2 drive and only reconized it as a single IDE drivr.
    >
    > My question/problem,
    >
    > I try to pull out the primary drive and just left the mirror drive in
    > the system, of couse the system cannot boot. I tried to create a boot
    > floppy. The question is how can i specified the boot patition ? I try
    > :
    >
    > multi(0) disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\..
    >
    > and it did not work, so, how can I boot from the mirror disk ?
    >
    > Please help !
    >
    > Eddie

Dell NAS / RAID Boot Mirror Computers