Nvidia: Graphics Is Dead? Yeah Right

Status
Not open for further replies.

LkS

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
In terms of market penetration, Havok is the leading vendor for game physics. However, Havok isn’t the leading vendor - that was a company called Ageia , which made the PhysX engine.

???

Gazz

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
I think that the issues about Havok and Ageia should be debaited more because the last thing I would like to see happen is the uses haveing to choose between either and this whole thing ending up one big war between the big conglomerents
The fact that alredy componies are holding back progres by refuseing to go down tecknowlegy paths to spite and manipulate the market i wont mention names because they all do it
Corect me if I am wrong does the stare wars games use both havok and Ageia
I do hope that in the future we dont just see two componies bidding head to head e.g. Intel vs Nvidia

thatmymp5

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
LOL! ????????? LOL! Very Soon, there will be a brutal war between Intel Vs Nvidia! Coming real very soon unless they merge or business venture. If u think of AMD, forget it, they are just simply Intel's chess Pawn!
Reason : I know it is u all to think about it! Let's see how smart are u all can give me a good reasoning to defeat my intellectual and my Fart arrogance. I welcome challenge cos makes me a better man. haha

badgtx1969

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
My question is, in the future could I use a new ATi card for graphics and also utilize an older G92 card in for PhysX? Supposedly we'll be able to do this w/ newer nVidia cards in the not too distant future.

MTLance

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Oh lalala, Intel is going for the throne while Nvidia might sank during half-way.
Some ppl never believe AMD and Intel want Nvidia outta way. Facts are proven here that AMD went for Havok instead of PhysX. LMAO Nvidia might be a pwoerful troll for now but what if AMD and Intel decide to gang up taking out Nvidia? LOL.

The future shall be interesting, remembering back when 3Dfx first had a dedicated 3D card, support grew for selected apps (games) that could unleash the performance and benefits, the software layers as OpenGL, D3D, Glide etc - now we see a new opportunity - Cuda etc.

Anyone remember when games supported software rendering as well as hardware rendering? bland colors, hard edges and low performance vs smooth and fast performance with hardware acceleration etc - now the same effects for future applications etc - photoshop, video editing, perhaps in servers, number crunching for raid5 etc, cant wait to get more performance out of my video card that's otherwise unused outside games etc.

dvdjg

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
"The problem with Ageia was that you had to buy a special card and there weren?t enough machines being shipped with that card to establish enough of a market to generate interest from all game developers."

I think there's a minnor mistake. This text is not completely true. In fact PhysX CAN run on software-only implementations in the same way Havok does. So it can run in PCs, XBOX360, and other systems with no specialized hardware. PhysX is mainly based on Novodex, and the API is very similar. At the moment the hardware accelerated library is not as feature rich as the software's.

The use of specific hardware for PhysX is an option, something like a bonus. I think that nVidia has a great advantage in this area. When UE3 and other engines will begin using the hardware acceleration from CUDA devices, AMD (and Intel) will be seriously in troubles.

In my opinion AMD (and Intel) should or must incentivate the hardware acceleration thru Havok. Sadly Havok has recently cancel their Hardware accelerated branch "Havok FX", witch was Shader Model 3.0 based.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS