Windows doesnt like me. Several problems, cannot determine..

August 18, 2005 3:39:37 AM

My PC has several, several problems. I belive they are all interrelated
somehow, but None of the symptoms are ever linked to the other. Here is a
list of what I've found wrong:

I cant install some programs, some give me a "Windows Installer is not
properly installed" error, some give me "Install Sheild Service could not be
accessed (ikernel.exe could not be found)"

When I try to run 'sfc /scannow' I get: "You must be an administrator running
a console session in order to use the Windows File Checker Utility" (Oddly
enough, it runs under the 'administrator' account, but not mine. I've set my
account to the 'restricted user' and logged off, and logged back in, and
explorer never started. I waited a while, and then from the task manager
attempted to start it manually. It poped up in the process list, but
dissapered soon after. I also could not open control pannel applets from run
either. I logged off, and set my account as administrator, and logged back on,
and explorer opened up as it normally should.. Hmm.

When I open "Network Connections" the folder is empty, and when I press
refresh (f5) It says: "The Network Connections Folder was unable to retrive
the list of Network adapters on your machine. Please Make sure that the
Network Connections Service is enabled and running" Which, it is.

When I try to run Windows Update (Well, its actually Microsoft Update, as I
have Office), I click custom or express, I get:

" Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed
on your computer. To continue:

Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended)
Let me read about more steps that might be required to solve the problem

"

I've done both. When I choose the first option, it says "Downloading 100%"
(doesn't count up from 0) then "Regestering 0%" And counts up to 100. Retry,
same thing. The Other option is just some different steps to try, which I
have. And to no avail. (I was having this problem using IE6, but now I'm
using IE7)

Another few things that started when this did:

Photoshop takes AGES to search for plugins (I have about 200 megs worth, but
it was normally faster than TWO HOURS!)

mspaint Takes about 15 minutes to open.

Any Ideas?

Thanks guys,
+they

What I have already done:
sfc /scannow
chkdsk /r
Virus Scan (With AVG, Avast, and Some TrendMirco thing)
Spyware/Adware Scan (With Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware 1.06, and Spy Sweeper)

What I _CANNOT_ do:
Format. I've got 70GB of Documents/Files/Ect, that I have no viable means to
backup. ( I mean, it'd take several DVDs.) Not to mention the 50+ Programs I
have installed. Most of which I use on a normal basis.

A repair install _might_ work, but for some reason I have this odd feeling
that none of my apps will work after a repair install. The __ONLY__ way I
could do one, is if I am sure that the registry enterys will remain intact;
so my programs/keys/settings/ect will remain intact. I _cant_ afford to lose
them. (Okay, I could, but Itd be a LOT of trouble.)

System Specs:
P4, 3.2GHz, HT
1024MB RAM
Radeon 9800XT
48x CD-RW
12x DVD+RW +DL
SB Audigy2
Intagrated Intel Pro 10/100/1000 NIC

Yeah, some of those are pointless, but you never know.

Network Stats:

All Cat5e, running to a 24-port Enterasys Switch, piped through a Linksys
"WRT-something somethign 54G router" to a Motorola surfboard.
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 3:39:38 AM

Repair Install will save your programs and settings. Here's a link to read
up on it: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm and here's
the Microsoft KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

I just lost 3 years of data off my backup hard drive because it crashed
while I was formatting my primary drive. Professional hard drive recovery
runs from $600 on up to thousands! I'd suggest that you get a backup drive -
I recently picked up a 120 gB Western Digital USB drive for about $120 US.
It's worth the peace of mind that it gives me!

"They via WindowsKB.com" wrote:

> [...]
>
> A repair install _might_ work, but for some reason I have this odd feeling
> that none of my apps will work after a repair install. The __ONLY__ way I
> could do one, is if I am sure that the registry enterys will remain intact;
> so my programs/keys/settings/ect will remain intact. I _cant_ afford to lose
> them. (Okay, I could, but Itd be a LOT of trouble.)
>
> System Specs:
> P4, 3.2GHz, HT
> 1024MB RAM
> Radeon 9800XT
> 48x CD-RW
> 12x DVD+RW +DL
> SB Audigy2
> Intagrated Intel Pro 10/100/1000 NIC
>
> Yeah, some of those are pointless, but you never know.
>
> Network Stats:
>
> All Cat5e, running to a 24-port Enterasys Switch, piped through a Linksys
> "WRT-something somethign 54G router" to a Motorola surfboard.

August 18, 2005 3:39:39 AM

I surley would get the backup drive like usasma says and copy my data to it
before i did a repair install,like everyone says,you never know when
something will go wrong.
my 2 cents

--
Carl G
"usasma" <usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> that none of my apps will work after a repair install. The __ONLY__ way I
>> could do one, is if I am sure that the registry enterys will remain
>> intact;
>> so my programs/keys/settings/ect will remain intact. I _cant_ afford to
>> lose
>> them. (Okay, I could, but Itd be a LOT of trouble.)
>>
>> System Specs:
>> P4, 3.2GHz, HT
>> 1024MB RAM
>> Radeon 9800XT
>> 48x CD-RW
>> 12x DVD+RW +DL
>> SB Audigy2
>> Intagrated Intel Pro 10/100/1000 NIC
>>
>> Yeah, some of those are pointless, but you never know.
>>
>> Network Stats:
>>
>> All Cat5e, running to a 24-port Enterasys Switch, piped through a Linksys
>> "WRT-something somethign 54G router" to a Motorola surfboard.

August 18, 2005 4:20:29 AM

Seems like a good deal to me :D

Okay. I'm thinking seriously about doing a repair install. I'll wait a little
while longer to see if anyone else has any other suggestions. Thanks for the
link!
!