I'm trying to create a series of shortcuts to items for a MultiMedia CD that
I'm creating. I try to make it easy for people to use so I create a
directory for shortcuts to items on the CD that I want them to access. Then
have the autoplay open up that directory so they have access to everything on
the CD.

How do I create a shortcut that will work on whatever drive that they have
assigned on their system. FOr example, my CD is drive M:\ when I put the CD
into a system with a different drive letter assignment, the shortcut does not
work.

Is there a way to use the label of the CD? Something else?

thanx. mark

"Mark Kyprianou" <MarkKyprianou@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to create a series of shortcuts to items for a MultiMedia CD
> that
> I'm creating. I try to make it easy for people to use so I create a
> directory for shortcuts to items on the CD that I want them to access.
> Then
> have the autoplay open up that directory so they have access to everything
> on
> the CD.
>
> How do I create a shortcut that will work on whatever drive that they have
> assigned on their system. FOr example, my CD is drive M:\ when I put the
> CD
> into a system with a different drive letter assignment, the shortcut does
> not
> work.
>
> Is there a way to use the label of the CD? Something else?
>
> thanx. mark

Here is a start, you need a cmd or a bat file that will run as the autorun
file that has the *one& lines in it. And you need a *blank* file called
CD.txt on the cd.

------

FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST
%%i:\CD.txt SET CDROM=%%i:

-----

NOTE: the above is all one line.

Then in your path for the shortcuts use %CDROM%

--
William

Mark Kyprianou wrote:
> I'm trying to create a series of shortcuts to items for a MultiMedia CD that
> I'm creating. I try to make it easy for people to use so I create a
> directory for shortcuts to items on the CD that I want them to access. Then
> have the autoplay open up that directory so they have access to everything on
> the CD.
>
> How do I create a shortcut that will work on whatever drive that they have
> assigned on their system. FOr example, my CD is drive M:\ when I put the CD
> into a system with a different drive letter assignment, the shortcut does not
> work.
>
> Is there a way to use the label of the CD? Something else?
>
> thanx. mark

Try using relative paths like "\" ".." and "."

Example:

Shortcut is in folder \Shortcuts

Target is in folder \Media

use \media\target.mov for path/filename

"WTC" wrote:

> "Mark Kyprianou" <MarkKyprianou@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm trying to create a series of shortcuts to items for a MultiMedia CD
> > that
> > I'm creating. I try to make it easy for people to use so I create a
> > directory for shortcuts to items on the CD that I want them to access.
> > Then
> > have the autoplay open up that directory so they have access to everything
> > on
> > the CD.
> >
> > How do I create a shortcut that will work on whatever drive that they have
> > assigned on their system. FOr example, my CD is drive M:\ when I put the
> > CD
> > into a system with a different drive letter assignment, the shortcut does
> > not
> > work.
> >
> > Is there a way to use the label of the CD? Something else?
> >
> > thanx. mark
>

> Here is a start, you need a cmd or a bat file that will run as the autorun
> file that has the *one& lines in it. And you need a *blank* file called
> CD.txt on the cd.
>
> ------
>
> FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST
> %%i:\CD.txt SET CDROM=%%i:
>
> -----
>
> NOTE: the above is all one line.
>
> Then in your path for the shortcuts use %CDROM%

I created the bat file above ok, but I cannot put %CDROM% in the shortcut.
I always get errors, like:
The name '%CDROM%\test.txt' specified in the Target box is not valid. Make
sure the path and file name are correct. How ccan I put the variable name in
the shortcut window?

Also, can I put multiple commands in the autorun file?

> "WTC" wrote:
>
>> "Mark Kyprianou" <MarkKyprianou@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > I'm trying to create a series of shortcuts to items for a MultiMedia CD
>> > that
>> > I'm creating. I try to make it easy for people to use so I create a
>> > directory for shortcuts to items on the CD that I want them to access.
>> > Then
>> > have the autoplay open up that directory so they have access to
>> > everything
>> > on
>> > the CD.
>> >
>> > How do I create a shortcut that will work on whatever drive that they
>> > have
>> > assigned on their system. FOr example, my CD is drive M:\ when I put
>> > the
>> > CD
>> > into a system with a different drive letter assignment, the shortcut
>> > does
>> > not
>> > work.
>> >
>> > Is there a way to use the label of the CD? Something else?
>> >
>> > thanx. mark
>>

>> Here is a start, you need a cmd or a bat file that will run as the
>> autorun
>> file that has the *one& lines in it. And you need a *blank* file called
>> CD.txt on the cd.
>>
>> ------
>>
>> FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST
>> %%i:\CD.txt SET CDROM=%%i:
>>
>> -----
>>
>> NOTE: the above is all one line.
>>
>> Then in your path for the shortcuts use %CDROM%
>
> I created the bat file above ok, but I cannot put %CDROM% in the shortcut.
> I always get errors, like:
> The name '%CDROM%\test.txt' specified in the Target box is not valid.
> Make
> sure the path and file name are correct. How ccan I put the variable name
> in
> the shortcut window?
>
> Also, can I put multiple commands in the autorun file?

Sorry about that, I know there is a way, I cannot seem to remember on how to
do the shortcut. It has been a long time since I have done something like
that. I will try and make a CD, then come back and tell you how I did it.

Have you tried goggle searches?

--
William

"Mark Kyprianou" <MarkKyprianou@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "WTC" wrote:
>
>> "Mark Kyprianou" <MarkKyprianou@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > I'm trying to create a series of shortcuts to items for a MultiMedia CD
>> > that
>> > I'm creating. I try to make it easy for people to use so I create a
>> > directory for shortcuts to items on the CD that I want them to access.
>> > Then
>> > have the autoplay open up that directory so they have access to
>> > everything
>> > on
>> > the CD.
>> >
>> > How do I create a shortcut that will work on whatever drive that they
>> > have
>> > assigned on their system. FOr example, my CD is drive M:\ when I put
>> > the
>> > CD
>> > into a system with a different drive letter assignment, the shortcut
>> > does
>> > not
>> > work.
>> >
>> > Is there a way to use the label of the CD? Something else?
>> >
>> > thanx. mark
>>

>> Here is a start, you need a cmd or a bat file that will run as the
>> autorun
>> file that has the *one& lines in it. And you need a *blank* file called
>> CD.txt on the cd.
>>
>> ------
>>
>> FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST
>> %%i:\CD.txt SET CDROM=%%i:
>>
>> -----
>>
>> NOTE: the above is all one line.
>>
>> Then in your path for the shortcuts use %CDROM%
>
> I created the bat file above ok, but I cannot put %CDROM% in the shortcut.
> I always get errors, like:
> The name '%CDROM%\test.txt' specified in the Target box is not valid.
> Make
> sure the path and file name are correct. How ccan I put the variable name
> in
> the shortcut window?
>
> Also, can I put multiple commands in the autorun file?

Yes you can, have the autorun file point to a bat file. Then the bat file
would have the multiple commands.

You could make a HTML page that opens when your CDROM is inserted and have
the links as your shortcut. I think this would be easier.

--
William

"RobertVA" wrote:

> Mark Kyprianou wrote:
> > I'm trying to create a series of shortcuts to items for a MultiMedia CD that
> > I'm creating. I try to make it easy for people to use so I create a
> > directory for shortcuts to items on the CD that I want them to access. Then
> > have the autoplay open up that directory so they have access to everything on
> > the CD.
> >
> > How do I create a shortcut that will work on whatever drive that they have
> > assigned on their system. FOr example, my CD is drive M:\ when I put the CD
> > into a system with a different drive letter assignment, the shortcut does not
> > work.
> >
> > Is there a way to use the label of the CD? Something else?
> >
> > thanx. mark
>
> Try using relative paths like "\" ".." and "."
>
> Example:
>
> Shortcut is in folder \Shortcuts
>
> Target is in folder \Media
>
> use \media\target.mov for path/filename

You cannot enter a relative file path into the shortcut definition. It
always gives an error. Have you tried the above? If so what an I doing
wrong? Not in DOS, but RMB on a shortcut and try to set the target to a
relative path or use a variable...

TRENDING THREADS