Dell Inspiron 15 Quality?

JThom1

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
Hello all, I am a new member to the Tom's Hardware. But I have enjoyed browsing this site for a while now so I decided to make an account. I have a question about the quality of dell laptops. Specifically the inspiron line. Recently, I found a bestbuy deal on a Dell Inspiron i152728-BK it is the Inspiron 3520 with different specs. It has a 3rd gen Intel Core i5, 4gb of ram and 500 gb hard drive. it all seemed good to me and I needed a new PC so I bought it without reading too much into it. I have not got it yet, but now i am concerned that i may have made a bad purchase. The reviews for laptops with the same casing as the one i ordered have a few bad reviews and a few good reviews. The bad reviews seem to be mainly n the quality of the PC. Does anyone have expirences or opinions with this mode;? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to (the posting side of) Tom's Hardware Forums,
My take on this - I have no experience with that model - is, with almost any high expense purchase, you can spend a lot of effort in second guessing your purchase. Your best bet though is to see your impression of it (which must've been initially favorable) and how it works for you. It just may turn out to be the 'perfect' machine for your purposes.
Let's hope it doesn't disappoint.

If you are satisfied with the price you paid, you made a good choice!

Here is a favorable review: http://www.cnet.com/laptops/dell-inspiron-15/4505-3121_7-33542151.html

Dell laptops are in the same average quality category as HP, Sony, Toshiba, and Asus, to name a few. With reasonable care they will last a long time.

To give you some stats: My oldest Dell laptop is over 10 years; the Inspiron 5150 (RAM upgraded to 2 GBs) - still working fine; slow, but fine. Two D630 laptops in use for over 4 years. One Dell E6500 laptop in use for over 3 years. The operating systems are Win XP, Vista, and Win 8 (32-bit because of the motherboard limitations).

On all laptops, I upgraded the RAM as well as the hard disks to higher capacities.

What you are experiencing is "Buyers remorse" - common to car buyers too.

Regarding your original question about he quality, there is nothing to be concerned about. C/NET's review should reassure you.

dragonlord12832

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
I have a Dell Inspiron 3520. It has the 2nd Gen I3 (bought it from dell direct on sell). I must say that the plastic on it feels very cheap and somewhat flimsy. The price was right, and the keyboard is responsive, but the over-sized touch pad is always getting in the way of my typing. I like the chicklet feel of the keyboard. Had it for a couple of months, no problems thus far.