Desktop Icons "Resetting" Positions Intermittently - Windo..

I have a Dell Optiplex GX240 desktop running Windows XP Professional
and SP2 (750 MB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 display adapter w/128
MB).

I have noticed an "intermittent" problem which seems to have started
after I installed SP2 where the desktop will spontaneously "reset" and
all icons are lined up on the left hand side of the screen. (The
screen save is still active. But programs appear to have been
terminated.)

This generally happens when I am downloading a lot of files over night
and have turned the monitor off.

When I restart the computer, all is well. Icons are back in their
original positions. Everything works fine

It may go a day, or several weeks before this happens again.

Can anyone tell me what may be happening and what to do?

-TIA

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 07:22:55 +0000 (UTC), "Eric Shune"
<hoho@upsidebtinternet.com> wrote:

>I'd hang myself.

That is the kind of resopnse I would expect from someone
in a Macintosh group.

Anyone technical around here?

The_AntiArt <The_AntiArt@Hoaxland.net> wrote:

>I have a Dell Optiplex GX240 desktop running Windows XP Professional
>and SP2 (750 MB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 display adapter w/128
>MB).
>
>I have noticed an "intermittent" problem which seems to have started
>after I installed SP2 where the desktop will spontaneously "reset" and
>all icons are lined up on the left hand side of the screen. (The
>screen save is still active. But programs appear to have been
>terminated.)
>
>This generally happens when I am downloading a lot of files over night
>and have turned the monitor off.
>
>When I restart the computer, all is well. Icons are back in their
>original positions. Everything works fine
>
>It may go a day, or several weeks before this happens again.

[I hate people who ask a double question that can have differing
yes/no answers in a single shot.]

>Can anyone tell me what may be happening
[adding "?" to above]

No.

[Adding "Can anyone tell me ...]
>what to do?

You could try right-clicking in an empty portion of the main
desktop area, and selecting the "Arrange Icons By" submenu to see
what you have set regarding your desktop icons.

BTW, this is not new with XP SP2, or even with XP. It has been
part of the desktop right-click menu since at least 98SE
[Pre-98SE Win stuff of this sort has faded from a rapidly aging
memory].
--
OJ III

TRENDING THREADS