Deleting Temporary Internet Files

I have some temporary files that when i try to delete them a message comes up
telling me that the file is being used by another program. How do i find out
what program is using it and how do i delete the files?
--
Thanks Steel
5 answers Last reply

    steel wrote:
    > I have some temporary files that when i try to delete them a message comes up
    > telling me that the file is being used by another program. How do i find out
    > what program is using it and how do i delete the files?

    Sysinternal's process explorer will show runing programs and their open
    files.

    google: procexp

    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

    when you run procexp, it show all the running programs. click on one
    and in the bottom of the windows it will show the program's open files
    (as well as much other stuff)

    Sounds like spyware. Give some of these programs a try.

    http://www.broomeman.com/spyware/

    "steel" <steel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have some temporary files that when i try to delete them a message comes
    >up
    > telling me that the file is being used by another program. How do i find
    > out
    > what program is using it and how do i delete the files?
    > --
    > Thanks Steel

    Happens to me all the time. Try clearing them right after a fresh boot

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    "steel" <steel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have some temporary files that when i try to delete them a message comes
    >up
    > telling me that the file is being used by another program. How do i find
    > out
    > what program is using it and how do i delete the files?
    > --
    > Thanks Steel

    "steel" <steel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have some temporary files that when i try to delete them a message comes
    >up
    > telling me that the file is being used by another program. How do i find
    > out
    > what program is using it and how do i delete the files?
    > --
    > Thanks Steel

    How *exactly* are you trying to delete you temporary internet files and/or
    temp files?

    Steel,

    Temp files (%temp%) - Temporary Internet Files. Both are not the same.

    If for Temp, a reboot usually unlocks the files, and you can delete later.
    For TIF, close all instances of IE, and open Inetcpl.cpl, from Run. Then
    clear the TIF. See also: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "steel" <steel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have some temporary files that when i try to delete them a message comes
    >up
    > telling me that the file is being used by another program. How do i find
    > out
    > what program is using it and how do i delete the files?
    > --
    > Thanks Steel

Microsoft Internet Windows XP