Deleting Temporary Internet Files

August 17, 2005 8:47:03 PM

I have some temporary files that when i try to delete them a message comes up
telling me that the file is being used by another program. How do i find out
what program is using it and how do i delete the files?
--
Thanks Steel
Anonymous

steel wrote:
> I have some temporary files that when i try to delete them a message comes up
> telling me that the file is being used by another program. How do i find out
> what program is using it and how do i delete the files?

Sysinternal's process explorer will show runing programs and their open
files.

google: procexp

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.h...

when you run procexp, it show all the running programs. click on one
and in the bottom of the windows it will show the program's open files
(as well as much other stuff)
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 10:51:34 PM

Sounds like spyware. Give some of these programs a try.

http://www.broomeman.com/spyware/

"steel" <steel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 2AA3AD5-0760-41B3-8AD3-BC1CF54E7B2B@microsoft.com...
>I have some temporary files that when i try to delete them a message comes
>up
> telling me that the file is being used by another program. How do i find
> out
> what program is using it and how do i delete the files?
> --
> Thanks Steel
August 18, 2005 12:22:02 AM

Happens to me all the time. Try clearing them right after a fresh boot

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"steel" <steel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 2AA3AD5-0760-41B3-8AD3-BC1CF54E7B2B@microsoft.com...
>I have some temporary files that when i try to delete them a message comes
>up
> telling me that the file is being used by another program. How do i find
> out
> what program is using it and how do i delete the files?
> --
> Thanks Steel
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 4:59:51 AM

"steel" <steel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 2AA3AD5-0760-41B3-8AD3-BC1CF54E7B2B@microsoft.com...
>I have some temporary files that when i try to delete them a message comes
>up
> telling me that the file is being used by another program. How do i find
> out
> what program is using it and how do i delete the files?
> --
> Thanks Steel

How *exactly* are you trying to delete you temporary internet files and/or
temp files?
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 1:49:40 PM

Steel,

Temp files (%temp%) - Temporary Internet Files. Both are not the same.

If for Temp, a reboot usually unlocks the files, and you can delete later.
For TIF, close all instances of IE, and open Inetcpl.cpl, from Run. Then
clear the TIF. See also: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org