Internet Options gone whacko

Hi evry1,
I am running a fully patched copy of Windows XP Pro SP2. I tried to clear
my URL history the other day, and the computer just hanged for ages with
Internet Explorer not responding, I had to force close it. Sometimes it
will work, mostly it won't.

Norton Antivirus, Ad-Aware Se Pro and Spybot all report no problems with my
computer. What the hell is going on here? Thanks for any responses in
advance,

Damo
3 answers Last reply
More about internet options whacko

    Do not open IE. Close ALL instances of IE.

    First clean out all of your Temporary Internet Files.

    To delete *all* Temporary Internet Files...

    1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | Click OK
    Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
    Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
    Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed. Especially
    if there are a large number of files.
    2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files
    3) Check the box ? Delete all offline content {This cleans >>
    %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
    AND
    %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
    and \Content.MSO (Created by an MS Office program)}
    4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the
    temporary internet files
    5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete cookies that
    websites have placed on your hard drive.
    -----

    With Internet Options still open, click the Clear History button.
    -----

    If you want, try this: Open IE | Tools | Internet Options | Advanced tab |
    scroll down to the bottom | check: Empty Temporary Internet Files folder
    when browser is closed | click Apply | OK. Entirely up to you, but if you
    want to be rid of this, it is done automatically. Deletes the content of
    %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files but not the Content.IE5 or Content.MSO folders.

    Also: Start IE | Tools | Internet Options | General tab | Days to keep
    pages in history: 0 | Apply | OK.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:eDzagd4oFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Damo <random@fake.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi evry1,
    > I am running a fully patched copy of Windows XP Pro SP2. I tried to clear
    > my URL history the other day, and the computer just hanged for ages with
    > Internet Explorer not responding, I had to force close it. Sometimes it
    > will work, mostly it won't.
    >
    > Norton Antivirus, Ad-Aware Se Pro and Spybot all report no problems with
    > my computer. What the hell is going on here? Thanks for any responses in
    > advance,
    >
    > Damo

    Lot's of things to try...

    First, what have you installed into your system recently (hardware and
    software)?
    Is your Internet Firewall on and working?

    Next, check your Event Viewer for any error messages (Start...Control
    Panel...Administrative Tools...Event Viewer). Check all 3 types of logs.

    Also, try another browser to see if it works (I'd suggest Firefox portable
    if you don't want to keep it on your system) - that way you can see if the
    problem is with IE or with your Network connection.

    Once you've narrowed it down a bit, it'll be easier to fix it up!

    "Damo" <random@fake.com> wrote in message
    > Hi evry1,
    > I am running a fully patched copy of Windows XP Pro SP2. I tried to clear
    > my URL history the other day, and the computer just hanged for ages with
    > Internet Explorer not responding, I had to force close it. Sometimes it
    > will work, mostly it won't.
    >
    > Norton Antivirus, Ad-Aware Se Pro and Spybot all report no problems with
    > my computer. What the hell is going on here? Thanks for any responses in
    > advance,

    This will happen will you have huge Temporary Internet Files and/or history.
    It would appear your system is hanging. It sometimes takes up to 20 minutes.
    I would suggest decreasing the size of the Temporary Internet Files and
    History.

    --
    William

Windows XP