New Windows 7 install, computer won't shutdown.

grilledcheez

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
Hi Guys,

Not quite sure where to post this so I thought I'd try here first. Anyways, I just installed a new SSD drive along with two 1TB drives that I put into a RAID 0 configuration. Everything is running great, bootup is fast.

Weird thing is, when I shut my computer down now, windows seems to shutdown, and I hear my Hard drives turnoff, but the fans and leds on the computer keep running for about 2 to 3 minutes before they shut off. Before with my old HDD, it would shutdown windows and the computer would shutdown immediately afterwards.

I'd like it to shutdown immediately again, I sit there waiting for it to turn off as I want to make sure I don't leave the fans running all night.

I've googled searched this for a couple days now, but can't seem to find an answer that applies, barely found any real answers, but maybe I'm not typing in the proper key words for the answer I'm looking for.

I'm sure someone has ran into something like this before, just wondering if any one knows of any fixes for this.

Thanks.

With the fans running for a few min. after shut down is only a cool down process and is actually a good thing and not a bad thing because it assures that the cpu and video card are cooded down.
There may be a setting in the bios under monitor hardware to change it back.

grilledcheez

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
I'll take a look in my BIOS again. It just seems weird that it started doing it after I installed the new HDDs and windows. Never did it before.

I did read something about the cooldown process, and that's when I sat there an waited for my computer to shutdown, and it did. It's just a pain when you're reinstalling windows, and it has to reboot after downloading updates, you're waiting about 3 minutes for it to shutdown and restart.

grilledcheez

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
Couldn't find anything in BIOS for a cool down process. As much as this is a good thing, I do want to know that I can control it. I did notice when it reboots from BIOS the computer reboots quickly, rebooting from the OS, and it takes several minutes before it will reboot or shutdown.

When you installed your new hard drives something must have changed in the bios and that can sometimes happen when installing new hardware and it's not that you changed anything it's just that something got changed. A good thing to try is to set the bios to default or reset the bios.

grilledcheez

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
Alright, tried restoring to default settings, and the only tweak I made afterwards was setting Configure SATA as to RAID from IDE. Apparenty required with a RAID config. Didn't make a difference, still powering down after several minutes.

Tried do a little more research, apparently some people had some luck with reseating the 24 PIN power cable to the motherboard. Going to give that a shot in a little bit.