w00t w00t!!!

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
this is my first post using mandrake linux! how do you install programs using xxxx.tar.gz files? for example, im trying to install flash_linux.tar.gz(macromedia flash player) and i dont know what to do at all. any help?

btw, should i use IE, Netscape or Mozilla for mandrake linux?

--------------------------------------------------
My computer is so fast it proves the theory of relativity wrong... :eek: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by grassapa on 08/31/02 11:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
There's a phrase that goes something like RTFM, or Read The Fine Manual :) The trick is in finding the "manual". Usually, it's a file named README or a bunch of HTML files, but you need to un-gzip and un-tar the file to get to it...

Anyways, for flash linux, you need to extract the files, with "tar -zxf flash_linux.tar.gz", then copy the ShockwaveFlash.class and libflashplayer.so files to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

Restart Mozilla, and that will let it find and use the flash plugin. Mozilla 1.0 or better is probably the best browser to use (IE for Linux?? ;-) Opera 6.x and Galeon are nice browsers too, and faster than Mozilla.

<i>Do I look like I care?</i>

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
General install handbook.

You will USUALLY download the program in 1 of 3 main ways.

1. your.program.ix86.rpm (the x is usually a 3 or a 5)

This is a pre-compiled rpm. All you do is install it by typing:

rpm -Uvh your.program.ix86.rpm

at a command line while you are in the directory with the rpm. Simple.

2. your.program.src.rpm

This is an uncompiled source rpm. I personally like getting these if they are available, as you compile them for your own system, and it's super easy to install. You have to do it in 2 steps though.

(a)
rpm --rebuild your.program.src.rpm

This will unpack the rpm, compile it all for your system, and then pack it back up into another rpm which you can install. It's been a while since I've used mandrake, but I believe it creates the file:

/usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i686/your.program.i686.rpm

(b)
Just cd into this directory, and then do your

rpm -Uvh your.program.i686.rpm

to install it. It's super easy, gives you a compiled rpm for your system, and it lets you watch the compile process.

3. your.program.tar.gz

This is a gzipped tar file. Basically linux's version of winzipped source code. There's a few ways to do this, depending on how the coder has set it up, but the most common (99% of the time) way to do it is as follows.

tar -zxvf your.program.tar.gz (this will make a directory called /your.program in whatever directory you are in)

cd your.program
./configure
make
make install

it'll do a ton of weird looking stuff, and hopefully you will have all your dependencies in order, but that's basically it.

If my baby don't love me, I know, I know, her sister will.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by silverpig on 08/31/02 09:36 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yep. I had to install flash too.

You're using mandrake?

The archive file handler will open it, and you have to extract it. Right click on the file, and go down to "open with". Once you have it extracted, you'll have to login as root.

Then there's a readme file in there. You have to copy the .class file and the .so file to the netscape plugins. Konquerer will find them, but I just made a second copy to it's plugin folder too. Figured it's not that much space wasted.

I use Konquerer with everything (java, script, plugins, cookies) turned off. That's my "secure" browser, that I try to do everything with first.

Then I use mozilla with everything turned on to get me past the things that have to have cookies or whatever.

I feel like I'm naked without an antivirus running (or at least available for manual scanz), or a firewall that tells me exactly which programs are trying to access the internet.

But the stability is obvious within the first few hourz...

Silverpig: thanks for the rpm pointers. That totally rulez that the package manager will compile it for you.

C@lling it like I c it...

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
for .rpm i think u can just double click them and they run like .exe's. at least that worked when i installed aol instant messanger.... btw my sn is grassapa so holla back...

--------------------------------------------------
My computer is so fast it proves the theory of relativity wrong... :eek:

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
I feel like I'm naked without an antivirus running (or at least available for manual scanz), or a firewall that tells me exactly which programs are trying to access the internet.
Try <A HREF="http://www.hbedv.com" target="_new">http://www.hbedv.com</A> for free personal linux antivirus, and there are a few firewall hit monitors around - check freshmeat or sf.net

<i>Do I look like I care?</i>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
My god I laughed when i saw the "Virus Alert: No alerts at this time" message.

Cracks me up.

Anyway, are there any packet filters for Linux? I'm partial to packet sniffers, even if it *is* considered overkill.

grassapa: I might just do that; Thanks! First thing is I have to figure out how to sign up for a sn...=)

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
*VERY* good idea.

Where can I find sum?

I have looked before, and couldn't find what I was looking for. Anything that breaks down the regions into any kind of pattern would be very nice.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
<A HREF="http://www.linuxnewbie.org" target="_new">http://www.linuxnewbie.org</A>

That's where I learned a bit of iptables (didn't get very far though).

If my baby don't love me, I know, I know, her sister will.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I always like the guys that post "I don't care whether you use Linux or not."
Or, "Linux isn't for newbies."

Hello, *WRONG* answer.