Sign in with
Your question

I cant start windows on normal mode, only safe mode

Last response: in Windows 7
October 28, 2012 2:55:05 PM

I have a Laptop HP pavilion Dv4 my graphics card is AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200, my processor is AMD Turion(tm) II dual core mobile M500. The thing is i was playing Tropico 4 and i paused it then it began to mix pixels i couldn't see nothing, then i restarted and this is what happens:

I cant see nothing, all is mixed up. on safe mode runs well.

I played driver san francisco, fallout new vegas before and any of this happened.

whats the problem?
Please is urgent.

More about : start windows normal mode safe mode

a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2012 3:08:27 PM

While in safe mode delete the graphics driver and then start it and reload the driver. It may have become corrupted.
m
l
October 28, 2012 3:24:50 PM

ok i have delete it but how do i reload the driver? i dont have the driver near by...
m
l
Related resources
October 28, 2012 3:30:55 PM

i've deleted and reload it but the problem persist, ive already done a system restore and nothing
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2012 3:31:48 PM

What is the statis of the computer now ? can you load Windows without going to safe mode?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2012 3:35:05 PM

Your computer has a hidden partition on the hard drive that has a Windows re4pair file and a copy of your Windows , you may have to go to the HP support site to see how to access it and do a repair.
m
l
October 28, 2012 3:41:37 PM

but it isnt a graphic card burned? HP has not support sites in my country I live in Venezuela. Can a windows reinstall fix the problem?
m
l
October 28, 2012 3:44:51 PM

Why all of this happened all of the sudden? what caused it? is there a way to repair it myself?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2012 4:06:25 PM

There isn't any indication that you graphics card is burned and from your desciption of what happened it seems to me that some files got corrupted and there needs to be a repair of the software done. To do that you can do it your self with the help of the hidden partition that is on your laptops hard drive. You just have to go online to the HP support site and find out the instructions on how to do this. All this can be done by you and online , a last resort is to take it to a repair shop or if it's still under warranty then you can do a RMA.
But first we will do the Windows repair to make sure that all the Windows files are ok and then we can do the HP recovery which will reload all of the AHP drivers and software.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2012 4:06:42 PM

Hi :) 

That looks like screen gone to me.... can you plug in an EXTERNAL screen to try ?

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
October 28, 2012 4:15:16 PM

i connected an hdmi cable on to my lcd screen is the same. cant see nothing on the tv
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2012 4:21:57 PM

leblanc said:
Can you be so kind and give me a link on how to do this? i have found this http://www.ehow.com/how_7900578_copy-hidden-restore-par... will that do? Thank you

Yes that will allow you to get to the hidden partition and have access to the recovery tools that are there. If the screen is gone as Brett suspects then the recovery toolswill not help and then you have to see if you have any Warranty left on your laptop. Did you buy it new or did you get this as a used sale.
m
l
October 28, 2012 4:25:07 PM

i buyed the laptop new in 2009 the warranty expirated on 2010
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2012 4:28:10 PM

Just plug in a standard LCD screen to the VGA connector and see what happens...

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2012 4:30:07 PM

If the screen is toast then you'll have to get it to a repair shop and get an estimate on replacing it and if it's too much then you can buy the screen yourself and swap it out. This is of course if all else fails and it is the screen that is broken , so for now you can try the recovery and repair tools to see where you can get with that.
m
l
October 28, 2012 4:32:54 PM

but my screen isnt toast because im writing this message from the computer we are talking about on safe mode
m
l
October 28, 2012 4:40:38 PM

I am going to do a factory system recovery is that ok? will that help?
m
l
October 28, 2012 4:41:18 PM

I am going to do a factory system recovery is that ok? will that help?
m
l
October 28, 2012 4:45:36 PM

leblanc said:
but my screen isnt toast because im writing this message from the computer we are talking about on safe mode

try going to computer>system properties> advanced settings>preformance settings>Uncheck everything apply then reboot to normal system. :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2012 4:45:45 PM

leblanc said:

Are you saying that those blue squares are NOT there in safe mode ?

By the way if so that does not mean your screen is ok, because safe mode uses very basic graphics setting....

m
l
October 28, 2012 4:56:09 PM

Yes when i go on safe mode i dont see those blue squares
m
l
October 28, 2012 5:34:11 PM

chanuka007 said:
try going to computer>system properties> advanced settings>preformance settings>Uncheck everything apply then reboot to normal system. :) 

didnt work
m
l
October 28, 2012 5:35:45 PM

factory reset ask for cd to pass all my info... i dont have one. If i do a factory reset will fix my problem?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2012 5:44:27 PM

If you do a factory reset you will lose any info that you have on your conputer and you will be restoring the computer to factory condition. So any files , games and photos will be lost unless you can transfer tham to another drive or usb stick or cd.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2012 5:47:48 PM

The one thing that we don't know is if the factory reset will fix your problem and if it doesn;t then you have bigger problems. If it does then you will have lost all your unsaved info if you were unable to transfer it off the hard drive. Since you have tried just about every option your now down to just a few so you should try and save your info if you can and go for the factory reset.
m
l
October 28, 2012 5:54:08 PM

if i install again the windows 7 an select to save all files, will that fix the problem? the hardcore of the problem is the windows right?. Also i dont know how to access the recovery tools i you can help me with that, i dont have a very fast internet and my patience is running out..
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2012 6:10:47 PM

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html

More information is needed to get support for your exact model , I entered in hp pavilion dv4 but it asked for more on the model number to be exact.
If you have an option to save alkll files then that may help you to save your info.
m
l
October 28, 2012 6:39:15 PM

its a dv4-2045dx
m
l
October 28, 2012 7:28:28 PM

so resuming what are my final options?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2012 7:45:53 PM

Your final options are to do a factory reset or to replace the screen but I would do the factory reset first because we don't know for sure that it's the screen unless you were to take it to a repair shop and get an apraisal of what it is exactly. You don't want to replace the screen if there is nothing wrong with it.
m
l
October 28, 2012 7:54:47 PM

I can use the computer con safe mode the screen works fine, but on normal the blue squares still appear. The recovery tools that you mentioned are the same of the recovery manager on my computer like system recovery and system restore right? (because i tried those two). i dont want to do a factory reset because right now the computer is downloading things on safe mode also because i dont have a external hdd to safe 90gb of used space...
m
l
October 28, 2012 7:55:29 PM

I can use the computer con safe mode the screen works fine, but on normal the blue squares still appear. The recovery tools that you mentioned are the same of the recovery manager on my computer like system recovery and system restore right? (because i tried those two). i dont want to do a factory reset because right now the computer is downloading things on safe mode also because i dont have a external hdd to safe 90gb of used space...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2012 8:01:22 PM

I am thinking that because the screen works fine in safe mode it's unlikly that it's damaged in any way so right now I'm thinking that it has something to do with the video card/intergrated graphics chip and that you need to do a recovery repair of that by loading new drivers. If you have a video card and you also have intergrated graphics through the cpu then maybe you can try running it on the intergrated graphics.
m
l
October 28, 2012 8:18:46 PM

so how do i do that? by downloading drivers from your links or by a hardware driver reinstallation?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2012 8:22:38 PM

If you download from the links I provided you most likely get the ,most current drivers.
m
l
October 28, 2012 9:00:31 PM

hp downloads are so slow for me downloading a driver @5kbs probably servers fault.
m
l
October 29, 2012 11:29:37 PM

I don't know why but i keep thinking is my graphic card, i dont think the windows is the problem because it loads on safe mode. any suggestions please?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 30, 2012 1:32:57 AM

Most of the time a problem can be solved here with suggestions and some downloads but occasionaly there's a problem that needs to be looked at because let's face it I can't be in the room with you and actualy get hands on which in this case might be helpful. You may have to take it someplace and get a repair estimate.
m
l
October 30, 2012 1:53:20 AM

Well thank you for your help inzone, although the problem isnt solve the intention its what counts.
m
l
October 30, 2012 1:54:12 AM

Well thank you for your help inzone, although the problem isnt solve the intention its what counts.
m
l
October 31, 2012 4:39:00 PM

got new symptom i downloaded this driver:http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadInde... us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4063&product=4041680&sw_lang= installed and now the windows on normal mode doesnt load after the black screen with the windows logo when is turned on, it waits 10-15 seconds and this is what appears:

Its says that the display was not loaded or something. whats the problem now? a factory reset will fix the whole problem?

Ps. On Safe mode still works.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 31, 2012 4:51:55 PM

http://download.cnet.com/WhoCrashed/3000-2094_4-7520582...

This is a neat little program and it helps in reading the BSOD info and giving you a reason for the crash. It's not 100% but it does work and I was getting random blue screens and it told me there was a problem with the video card driver , so I deleted and installed the latest beta and no more blue screens.
Can't give you a 100% guarantee that the factory reset will be a cure all for you but it's something that you haven't tried yet and if you can save some of your personal data then I would say go for it.
m
l
!