svchost.exe cpu 100%

after running for a while svchost.exe starts using more memory and cpu usage
goes up to 100%. i read about this problem in article 324139, it says it only
applies to windows 2000 though. Im running windows xp home SP2 and im not
sure how to fix the problem.
2 answers Last reply
More about svchost

    svchost.exe runs programs within itself - so there's something running that's
    eating up your processor cycles.

    I'd suggest downloading this free tool (
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html ) and use it to
    find out what's eating up those cycles.

    One of the most common things that causes this is spyware. I'd suggest
    updating your anti-virus software and perform a full system scan. You might
    also want to try some of the free, online scans such as TrendMicro or Panda.

    Also, download the Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta, update it, and have it scan
    your system.

    Post back with the results and the name of the offending process and we can
    work from there.
    "Sam" wrote:

    > after running for a while svchost.exe starts using more memory and cpu usage
    > goes up to 100%. i read about this problem in article 324139, it says it only
    > applies to windows 2000 though. Im running windows xp home SP2 and im not
    > sure how to fix the problem.

    hi , i have just installed windows and i have this problem aswell , the thing
    is when i end the process of that svchost , i get the error message saying my
    computer needs to shutdown in 50 seconds and save changes before it restarts.
    i have gigantic antispyware and i scanned and it got nothing , it's also
    updated.

    "usasma" wrote:

    > svchost.exe runs programs within itself - so there's something running that's
    > eating up your processor cycles.
    >
    > I'd suggest downloading this free tool (
    > http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html ) and use it to
    > find out what's eating up those cycles.
    >
    > One of the most common things that causes this is spyware. I'd suggest
    > updating your anti-virus software and perform a full system scan. You might
    > also want to try some of the free, online scans such as TrendMicro or Panda.
    >
    > Also, download the Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta, update it, and have it scan
    > your system.
    >
    > Post back with the results and the name of the offending process and we can
    > work from there.
    > "Sam" wrote:
    >
    > > after running for a while svchost.exe starts using more memory and cpu usage
    > > goes up to 100%. i read about this problem in article 324139, it says it only
    > > applies to windows 2000 though. Im running windows xp home SP2 and im not
    > > sure how to fix the problem.

Svchost.Exe CPUs Windows XP