Boot Up Question

Mike

Splendid

Does anyone know what I have to "un-check" in selective startup to
keep the Dell Support Alerts application to stop loading in during
start up ? It is the only app I am having trouble removing or
preventing from running on my new system. Thanks!

Mike

Dimension 8400
3.4 GHz P4
1 Gig DDR RAM
GeForce 6800 GTO
Win XP Home SP2

"Mike" <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote in message news:abd3219bnjqehtcdf1qlic96qic8noo95p@4ax.com...
> Does anyone know what I have to "un-check" in selective startup to
> keep the Dell Support Alerts application to stop loading in during
> start up ? It is the only app I am having trouble removing or
> preventing from running on my new system. Thanks!

Not sure what version you are running, but I have a box runing
v5.0.0.630 which came with a Dell Support Settings program:

Start->Programs->Dell Support->Dell Support Settings

or

Right click on the Dell Support icon in the tooltray, select Dell
Support Settings from the popup menu

then uncheck "Run on Windows startup".

I also see a Dell Support 5.0.0 entry in Add or Remove Programs,
which I'm assuming would remove the whole thing.

If you don't have those options, you could go into the Startup tab
of msconfig, increase the size of the Command column, and scroll
through the list looking for something that is in a Dell folder.
Perhaps ...\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe .

Mike

Splendid

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 11:35:32 -0500, "User N" <usern@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

> Right click on the Dell Support icon in the tooltray, select Dell
> Support Settings from the popup menu
>
>then uncheck "Run on Windows startup".

Unfortunately, there is not an option to uncheck after right clicking.
I can tell it not to notify my but not to load up period. From
Selective Startup the only thing I can see running should be running
like Norton's, Creative, etc, but I do notice a Java directory being
called up, but nothing that points squarely at a Dell Alerts
application. Thanks for the input though.

Mike

"Mike" <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote in message news:c41721dcdcmk682cvctrgpo5dj2l1ovi9t@4ax.com...

> [] From
> Selective Startup the only thing I can see running should be running
> like Norton's, Creative, etc, but I do notice a Java directory being
> called up, but nothing that points squarely at a Dell Alerts
> application. Thanks for the input though.

Hmmm, I thought it was usually easy to spot... dsagent.exe, support.exe,
notifyalert.exe, or whatever in Program Files\Dell\whatever. If you want
to post the output from StartupList, available part way down the page:

we could double check you if you feel that is warranted. One other
thing you could look at are the services running on your machine. See
if there is anything Dellish or Unknown in there.

"User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> "Mike" <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote in message
>
>> [] From
>> Selective Startup the only thing I can see running should be running
>> like Norton's, Creative, etc, but I do notice a Java directory being
>> called up, but nothing that points squarely at a Dell Alerts
>> application. Thanks for the input though.
>
> Hmmm, I thought it was usually easy to spot... dsagent.exe, support.exe,
> notifyalert.exe, or whatever in Program Files\Dell\whatever. If you want
> to post the output from StartupList, available part way down the page:
>
> http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
>
> we could double check you if you feel that is warranted. One other
> thing you could look at are the services running on your machine. See
> if there is anything Dellish or Unknown in there.

Unless I've missed something, why not simply remove the "Dell Support" entry
from add/remove programs in Control Panel?

Stew

Mike

Splendid

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:07:58 -0600, "S.Lewis"
<stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Unless I've missed something, why not simply remove the "Dell Support" entry
>from add/remove programs in Control Panel?
>

>Stew

Stew, I ended up doing just that. I am not sure why I could not find
any other way to close it down on startup other than just removing it,
but I did anway. Problem solved. Thanks for the input.

Mike

TRENDING THREADS