Sign in with
Your question

Mac OSX on External hard drive

Last response: in Windows 7
October 28, 2012 4:26:44 PM

I was not entirely sure which category to post this in so apologies if I have got it wrong.

So I would like to duel boot windows 7 and snow leopard + more in the future but I just want windows on my laptops hard drive. So What i'm asking is if I can partition my external hard drive to use around 100gb as mac and then the rest as storage? And how I would go about doing this?

Would I have to use something like MacDrive to make a partition of the hard drive or would I just put the installer onto the external hard drive and then partition from the installation?

I am quite tech savvy so I know what I am doing with windows and some of linux, but mac is a new thing for me so I am not entirely sure what installer to use or how to incorporate iboot etc into it. So a full tutorial would be greatly appreciated.

My other worry is if I could use as a fully functioning storage device afterwards and get it to work on both mac and windows.

Thankyou very much for your help, it is much appreciated.
a c 243 $ Windows 7
October 28, 2012 4:41:54 PM

What make/model of laptop are you using for this question?

A good source for hackintosh "how to" info is: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/

Here on Tom's other sources can be found here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/1137-69-osx86-hackint...

If you aren't using a Mac, setting up OS X to run on a PC based rig can be a challenge. What is even more difficult is keeping OS X up to date afterward.

You can also run OS X in a VM. If you are using a Mac, then Boot Camp is the way to go, but I don't think you can run OS X from an external drive as you are suggesting (nor Windows via Boot Camp on the ext HDD for that matter).

Please clarify what you are using.
October 28, 2012 4:55:39 PM

I am using an Acer aspire 5755g with an 15-2450m 2.5GHz and a nvidia GT 630m 1gb.

I am also not bothered about updating to new versions of OSX, snow leopard is my prefered version, in the unlikely account of a better version that snow leopard then an update may be thought about but that woulnt be for a while.

I had OS X in VMware but I only have 4gb of ram at the moment so it was really really slow.

Thanks for the help though, I may consider a duel boot.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2012 5:24:36 PM

Samwes said:
I am using an Acer aspire 5755g with an 15-2450m 2.5GHz and a nvidia GT 630m 1gb.

I am also not bothered about updating to new versions of OSX, snow leopard is my prefered version, in the unlikely account of a better version that snow leopard then an update may be thought about but that woulnt be for a while.

I had OS X in VMware but I only have 4gb of ram at the moment so it was really really slow.

OSX is slow in VMWare no matter what you do
a c 243 $ Windows 7
October 28, 2012 5:43:00 PM

Samwes said:

I am also not bothered about updating to new versions of OSX, snow leopard is my preferred version, in the unlikely account of a better version that snow leopard then an update may be thought about but that wouldn't be for a while.

I wasn't referring to to upgrading from one version of OS X to the next, rather I was referring to the small updates applied (similar to how Windows Update works) within OS X itself. Often, an OS X update will "break" a hackintosh install. The work-arounds to resolve can be complicated.

Also, setting of a dual boot system with Win 7 as the primary OS and OS X as the secondary is no trivial matter.

To use OS X "painlessly" you really need to run on a Mac.
!