Tech: Flippers stay on

The game is Gottleib's Count Down (a system 1 game). Everything works
fine. It seems weird that when the switch is on but the game is over,
the flippers work. The only relays that I see are the Tilt relay (it
works) and the Game Over Relay. The Game Over relay does not seem to
control power to the flippers. In fact, looking over the schematics, I
do not see a relay that could interupt the power to the flippers. Maybe
I am reading in wrong, but perhaps the flippers are not designed to turn
off even when the game is over?

Thanks for any clarification on this.

Ed Faerman

The flipper relay is resonsible for power to the coils. While
(a working) system1 is in attract mode, lift the playfield,
and carefully push the game-over relay in. Press a flipper
button and you will see the flipper work. Hit the pop bumper
and it will pop.

Your problem is the flipper relay is alway energized. This
could be happening due to a mechanical or electrical problem.
Mechanical would be like the activator plate has gotten
mis-aligned on the relay coil. Electrically would be a
driver board transistor has shorted on keeping the flipper
relay energized.

Ed Faerman wrote:
> The game is Gottleib's Count Down (a system 1 game). Everything works
> fine. It seems weird that when the switch is on but the game is over,
> the flippers work. The only relays that I see are the Tilt relay (it
> works) and the Game Over Relay. The Game Over relay does not seem to
> control power to the flippers. In fact, looking over the schematics, I
> do not see a relay that could interupt the power to the flippers. Maybe
> I am reading in wrong, but perhaps the flippers are not designed to turn
> off even when the game is over?
>
> Thanks for any clarification on this.
>
> Ed Faerman

Sorry my bad. I meant GAME OVER relay, which is of course
located under the playfield. The most common problem is
a mechanical one, where the activator plate is off the
relay coil's face just slightly.

cfh@provide.net wrote:
> The flipper relay is resonsible for power to the coils. While
> (a working) system1 is in attract mode, lift the playfield,
> and carefully push the game-over relay in. Press a flipper
> button and you will see the flipper work. Hit the pop bumper
> and it will pop.

Where is the flipper relay? I only see the "game over" and "tilt"
relays on the bottom of the playfield near the back.

Thanks-
Ed

Sorry for this but when I first saw your subject I thought "What? As
opposed to falling off??"

Sometimes the mind doesn't hit the right path after a holiday...

Darren