Sign in with
Your question

Can someone explain the differences between IPS?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
March 30, 2010 12:03:42 AM

I'm basically curious about IPS panels. From what I've gathered, e-IPS is basically H-IPS, correct? The one thing I can't find is, which of the three (S-IPS, e-IPS, and H-IPS) supposedly have the best image quality.

I'm hoping someone can provide a good explanation about these technologies, thanks in advance.
March 30, 2010 2:02:06 AM

No, e-IPS is a simpler version of the traditional IPS panel technology. IPS panels includes the older S-IPS panel and the newer H-IPS panels. Generally both S-IPS and H-IPS tech are the same, but the shape of the sub-pixel are different. S-IPS pixel are shaped like chevrons while H-IPS pixels are shaped like rectangles and generally has less "sparkling" effect. Pretty such some of the subtracts used to create the LCD panels are different as well.

Never really researched e-IPS panels as I am not interested is a less color accurate derivative of the IPS panel.

Not sure of any S-IPS panel monitors being produced at the moment since it has basically switched over to using H-IPS panels. The absolute best H-IPS panel monitors for image quality and color uniformity would be the 24" NEC 2490WUXi / 2490WUXi2 and the 26" inch 2690WUXi / 2690WUXi2. The 2490 has normal color gamut which is best for images that will ultimately be displayed on the screen. The 2690 has wide color gamut which is best for printed materials. Wide color gamut monitors all have a slight greenish saturation.

The NEC 2490 and NEC 2690 cost in excess of $1,100 especially if you buy the Sprectraview versions which comes with a hardware color calibrator for improved color accuracy; probably cost in excess of $1,300. The high price is due not only to NEC's brand recognition, but more importantly the additional electronics used to increase color accuracy and video processing built into the monitor.

If the NECs are too expensive, then the only other H-IPS monitor I can recommend us the 26" Planar PX2611w which can be bought for less than $800. It's a wide gamut monitor using the same H-IPS panel as the NEC 2690WUXi. However, it also lacks all of the WUXi series internal color and video enhancement electronics. That being said, the Planar PX2611w would have the 2nd best image quality compared to all other IPS panel monitors out there.

The Dell U2410 has some issues from what I've, but most owners seem to be generally have it with it.
m
l
March 30, 2010 2:21:10 AM

Ah, I see. I was actually asking for two different reasons. First being I'm always happy to know a little bit more about technology, of course. Second being, HP just came out with a new line of monitors. There's one in particular I'm interested in, called the ZR22W. It's a 22" S-IPS panel for $340 after tax and shipping. I'm eager to bite the bullet but I wanted to educate myself on the IPS technology itself before I did anything. As long as you're here, can I ask your opinion? Would the chevron shaped pixels be an annoyance? That sparkling in particular sounds like it could be a pain in the neck... If I don't go with the S-IPS I plan on going with an NEC I found with an e-IPS panel. (forget the model number)

Based on this information you gave me, the S-IPS would be a better buy, correct?

Link to the monitor if you're interested, btw:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/382087-38...
m
l
Related resources
March 30, 2010 12:50:47 PM

e-IPS isn't that good. Some S-PVA monitor would beat that.

Definitely go for S-IPS or H-IPS. These two are pretty much the same, you can hardly tell the the difference but the H-IPS is ever so slightly better.
m
l
March 30, 2010 4:23:43 PM

Ah, alright, thanks!
m
l
April 18, 2010 6:28:25 AM

HeroicHero said:
HP just came out with a new line of monitors. There's one in particular I'm interested in, called the ZR22W. It's a 22" S-IPS panel for $340 after tax and shipping.

Note that the HP ZR22W (21.5-inch) is a 16:9 screen with 8ms and 250 cd/m2 brightness that sells for around 300$, while the ZR24W (24-inch) is a 16:10 screen with 5ms and 400 cd/m2 brightness and sells for around 400$.
m
l
!