Price increase?

acadia

Am I imagining things or did the price of the 17-inch UltraSharp Monitor
just jump from $529 to $569?!?!

--
Have both a nice day and a happy life, Acadia.

Acadia wrote:
> Am I imagining things or did the price of the 17-inch UltraSharp Monitor
> just jump from $529 to $569?!?!

It appears that all of the monitors have gone up in price.

Acadia <acadiaNOT@ONyourLIFE.com> coughed up the following:

> Am I imagining things or did the price of the 17-inch UltraSharp
> Monitor just jump from $529 to $569?!?!

Sooooooooooo hard to tell, since whenever I try to figure out just
/what/ things cost, even at their peripheral site, I get the bejeebers
confused outta me with all the deals, and what not.

Tom Almy <tomalmy@aracnet.com> coughed up the following:

> Acadia wrote:
>> Am I imagining things or did the price of the 17-inch UltraSharp
>> Monitor just jump from $529 to $569?!?!
>>

> It appears that all of the monitors have gone up in price.

I wonder...

Not so much for the monitors themselves, but do the dell sales,
discounts, and other offers follow a predictable cyclic pattern over
time?

"Thomas G. Marshall"
<tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com> wrote:

>Tom Almy <tomalmy@aracnet.com> coughed up the following:

>> Acadia wrote:

>>> Am I imagining things or did the price of the 17-inch UltraSharp
>>> Monitor just jump from $529 to $569?!?!

>> It appears that all of the monitors have gone up in price.

>I wonder...
>
>Not so much for the monitors themselves, but do the dell sales,
>discounts, and other offers follow a predictable cyclic pattern over
>time?

From the posts I've seen here addressing the issue, its the
generally figurable times. End of the month, end of their fiscal
quarter, end of their fiscal year. Harder to figure out the
timing, but I would assume you would also see some deals just
prior to the introduction of a new line, e.g., D4550 just before
the D4600 became available. Since they don't really announce
them that far ahead.

[The D4500 came out two weeks after I bought my D4400 - dunno if
the deal was better than the norm. I hadn't known of this site
before my purchase, and didn't know to look for the end of the
month. But there /was/ free shipping, and a couple or three free
upgrades, IIRC. No rebates, so I didn't have to enter that
morass. Didn't get the free freight either, since I was in a
hurry and specified overnight air. They came through, even
though there were some S/W changes involved {XPPro vice Home, and
Office XP vice MS Works}. Ordered Weds PM, delivered around noon
on Fri.]
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.

Ogden Johnson III <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> coughed up the following:

> "Thomas G. Marshall"
> <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Tom Almy <tomalmy@aracnet.com> coughed up the following:

>>> It appears that all of the monitors have gone up in price.
>
>> I wonder...
>>
>> Not so much for the monitors themselves, but do the dell sales,
>> discounts, and other offers follow a predictable cyclic pattern over
>> time?
>
> From the posts I've seen here addressing the issue, its the
> generally figurable times. End of the month, end of their fiscal
> quarter, end of their fiscal year. Harder to figure out the
> timing, but I would assume you would also see some deals just
> prior to the introduction of a new line, e.g., D4550 just before
> the D4600 became available. Since they don't really announce
> them that far ahead.
>
> [The D4500 came out two weeks after I bought my D4400 - dunno if
> the deal was better than the norm. I hadn't known of this site
> before my purchase, and didn't know to look for the end of the
> month. But there /was/ free shipping, and a couple or three free
> upgrades, IIRC. No rebates, so I didn't have to enter that
> morass. Didn't get the free freight either, since I was in a
> hurry and specified overnight air. They came through, even
> though there were some S/W changes involved {XPPro vice Home, and
> Office XP vice MS Works}. Ordered Weds PM, delivered around noon
> on Fri.]

Just a note: Why did you want office XP when you could buy office 2000
for so much less. I've discovered the "magic" behind "last year's
software".

For example: I've mentioned that I have bought Norton SystemWorks 2003
(in 2004) for $8.50 including shipping. Now I'm wondering. In April
2005 (when my norton av contract expires) should I buy SystemWorks 2004
for $dirt instead of paying for the contract?

LOL.

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

> Just a note: Why did you want office XP when you could buy office 2000
> for so much less. I've discovered the "magic" behind "last year's
> software".

Many can still buy the latest at a greatly reduced price by purchasing
the "Student and Teacher" edition. Anyone who has a student in the house
also qualifies.

"Thomas G. Marshall"
<tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com> wrote:

>Ogden Johnson III <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> coughed up the following:

>Just a note: Why did you want office XP when you could buy office 2000
>for so much less. I've discovered the "magic" behind "last year's
>software".

Simple. I didn't have the option, even if the situation weren't
that Dell could make the upgrade from MS Works to Office XP Pro
[I need Access] at less cost than it would have been for me
accept the MS Works and then buy a copy of Office 2K Pro to
replace it. And I could forgo uninstalling MS Works.

The real driver in my "choice" was that the company I work for
had already standardized on Office XP, since the owner added a
new feature to our proprietary, Access-based, accounting/company
management program that used a feature new in Office XP that
drove all of us then still using Office 2K up the wall by bombing
out. Since I telecommute, I have to have Office XP running on
the computer I telecommute with. That is the D4400 I bought.
Ergo, either it was going to come with Office XP Pro or I was
going to buy Office XP Pro. If I wanted to continue to
telecommute [and incidentally save upwards of $150/month in
commuting expenses taking my real body in 5-days a week to the
office - kind of a no-brainer, that one].

>For example: I've mentioned that I have bought Norton SystemWorks 2003
>(in 2004) for $8.50 including shipping. Now I'm wondering. In April
>2005 (when my norton av contract expires) should I buy SystemWorks 2004
>for $dirt instead of paying for the contract?

I look on the $14.95 a year as an acceptable cost to avoid
anything that Symantec SystemWorks [I no longer think the Norton
name is justified, since Symantec has strayed so far from Peter
Norton's intentions and philosophy] has piled into their
latest/greatest, all users are dummies and have to be led blindly
into doing what we know is best, version. The version [2000?,
2001?, too lazy to check] on my computer will be my last. I am
identifying replacement programs for those functions I need done,
and when Symantec ceases support of my version, I'm going to be
going to those others.
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.

Tom Almy <tomalmy@aracnet.com> coughed up the following:

> Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
>
>> Just a note: Why did you want office XP when you could buy office
>> 2000 for so much less. I've discovered the "magic" behind "last
>> year's software".
>
> Many can still buy the latest at a greatly reduced price by purchasing
> the "Student and Teacher" edition. Anyone who has a student in the
> house also qualifies.

Don't know about Office in particular, but in general that'd better be a
*huge* discount to compete with older software.

Ogden Johnson III <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> coughed up the following:

....[slash]..

> I look on the $14.95 a year as an acceptable cost to avoid
> anything that Symantec SystemWorks [I no longer think the Norton
> name is justified, since Symantec has strayed so far from Peter
> Norton's intentions and philosophy] has piled into their
> latest/greatest, all users are dummies and have to be led blindly
> into doing what we know is best, version. The version [2000?,
> 2001?, too lazy to check] on my computer will be my last. I am
> identifying replacement programs for those functions I need done,
> and when Symantec ceases support of my version, I'm going to be
> going to those others.

Interesting. Ok.

There always was something about Peter Norton's software made me chuckle
though. It was always a tad too "cutsey". Like he'd go the extra extra
extra mile to put in a particular whacky looking cursor because he felt
like it. Now extra cutsey things on their own don't bug me----it's just
it reminded me of a program made by a high schooler.

--
While using is ok, actually /writing/ free software is a disingenuous
activity. You can afford to write software for free only because of