Password protect?

I am going to create a new folder on my desktop. I would like to password
protect the new folder. Is there anyway to do this? All help appreciated.
5 answers Last reply
More about password protect

    I'm using third party software name LOCK FOLDER.

    "Ross" wrote:

    > I am going to create a new folder on my desktop. I would like to password
    > protect the new folder. Is there anyway to do this? All help appreciated.

    One cannot password-protect a folder in Windows XP.
    For a more secure method, see the following:

    HOW TO: Set the My Documents Folder as "Private" in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

    You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307286

    How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files
    and folders in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Ross wrote:
    > I am going to create a new folder on my desktop. I would like to password
    > protect the new folder. Is there anyway to do this? All help appreciated.

    Like Win2K, WinXP's file security paradigm doesn't rely on, or
    allow, the cumbersome method of password protection for individual
    applications, files, or folders. Instead, it uses the superior method
    of explicitly assigning file/folder permissions to individual users
    and/or groups.

    HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419

    HOW TO Set the My Documents Folder as Private in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

    Of course, if you have WinXP Pro, you can encrypt the desired
    files/folders.

    Best Practices for Encrypting File System
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223316

    As a crude work-around, if you actually prefer Win9x's way, you
    can place the file in a compressed folder, and set a password to
    uncompress the folder to view/access its contents.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Hi Ross,

    Not unless you:

    a) enlist third party help

    b) compress (zip) the folder

    WinXP doesn't provide for passwording a folder, but rather relies on using
    permissions to determine whether or not a user can access a folder. However,
    once a user zips a folder, they can then have an option to password it.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone