Password protect?

August 17, 2005 10:34:03 PM

I am going to create a new folder on my desktop. I would like to password
protect the new folder. Is there anyway to do this? All help appreciated.

More about : password protect

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 11:17:02 PM

I'm using third party software name LOCK FOLDER.

"Ross" wrote:

> I am going to create a new folder on my desktop. I would like to password
> protect the new folder. Is there anyway to do this? All help appreciated.
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 12:58:28 AM

One cannot password-protect a folder in Windows XP.
For a more secure method, see the following:

HOW TO: Set the My Documents Folder as "Private" in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307286

How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files
and folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Ross" wrote:

I am going to create a new folder on my desktop. I would like to password
| protect the new folder. Is there anyway to do this? All help appreciated.
August 18, 2005 1:51:02 AM

Ross wrote:
> I am going to create a new folder on my desktop. I would like to password
> protect the new folder. Is there anyway to do this? All help appreciated.

Like Win2K, WinXP's file security paradigm doesn't rely on, or
allow, the cumbersome method of password protection for individual
applications, files, or folders. Instead, it uses the superior method
of explicitly assigning file/folder permissions to individual users
and/or groups.

HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419

HOW TO Set the My Documents Folder as Private in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

Of course, if you have WinXP Pro, you can encrypt the desired
files/folders.

Best Practices for Encrypting File System
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223316

As a crude work-around, if you actually prefer Win9x's way, you
can place the file in a compressed folder, and set a password to
uncompress the folder to view/access its contents.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 1:58:30 AM

Hi Ross,

Not unless you:

a) enlist third party help

b) compress (zip) the folder

WinXP doesn't provide for passwording a folder, but rather relies on using
permissions to determine whether or not a user can access a folder. However,
once a user zips a folder, they can then have an option to password it.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone