Solved

Problems Restoring Windows 7

Hello,

I was trying to install windows 8 only on a small partition of my hard drive that currently has windows 7 on it. During the installation I messed up. I chose to select where to install it and I clicked on the right hard drive but I clicked on format thinking it would lead me to a screen where I could partition it. However it looks like it erased the partition that had windows 7. The hard drive still has the small partition for system reserved and I also have an external hard drive that I backed everything up on.

So I put in the old windows 7 disk and clicked on repair system (with my external hard drive plugged in) but it said there was a problem and it wouldn't let me do it.

I also have a windows system recover disk that I had so I tried that. From there I was able to chose an image to restore my system. However there is no image anywhere to load, even on the external hard drive. So I am unable to do a system recovery that way.

In addition it won't let me reinstall windows 7 because it says the hard drive is not formatted correctly.

So I need some help getting windows 7 back with my system restored with my data.
If that is not possible is there any way I can continue to install windows 8 and then still recover all my data from my external hard drive?
2 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about problems restoring windows
  1. Best answer
    http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/technolog/how-recover-data-dead-or-erased-hard-drive-1C6690403

This article may help you somewhat and if you haven't written over your old installation then you can recover what you had.
  2. Best answer selected by Cherokee Jack.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Partition Hard Drives External Hard Drive