Sign in with
Your question

Microsoft security essentials and other internet security softwares

Last response: in Windows 7
October 28, 2012 5:05:40 PM

Hi,

I recently purchased a lenovo laptop for home purpose around 1.5 months back. The laptop was having already microsoft security essentials (MSE) and mcafee antivirus plus software. Unfortunately, yesterday i was facing blue screen on death type of error (BSOD) error. On one forum, I found that it may be due to the mcafee antivirus software. So, I uninstalled the software as per suggestion.
My questions is :
Why MSE was not able to detect this bsod error ?
Moreover, why mcafee, which itself is a anti-virus software, was causing this issue?
Please help to know the exact issues in detail.

Morever, I want to install good free antivirus software. I am totally confused whether should I install the antivirus software or, the internet security software. Please throw more light on good free internet security software from longer perspective. (I just found that almost all free trials are only for 1 month only)? Moreover, why built-in windows firewall and microsoft security essentials (MSE) are not enough for detecting malacious software. Why extra internet security software or antivirus software is required ?

Thanks,
Ashish
a b 8 Security
a c 230 $ Windows 7
October 28, 2012 5:20:55 PM

MSE is an anti-virus program. It does not detect BSODs. Also, you should not have it and McAfee installed at the same time. Only one or the other as they can conflict with one another.

Remove one of them. I use MSE on all of my Windows systems and I have had zero virus problems.
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2012 6:52:14 PM

i use the avast free for anti virus software and malwarebytes for spywares ones
Related resources
October 28, 2012 7:52:14 PM

MSE is good for general virus stuff. I use Malwarebytes for other stuff like ads and spyware.
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2012 8:18:15 PM

Hi :) 

As said ...you must ONLY run ONE av software....not two...

All the best Brett :) 
October 29, 2012 7:52:22 AM

Please let me know whether i am correct in my total understanding or, not:
1) Only 1 anti-virus software should be needed for personal laptop and microsoft security essentials should be good enough for that.
2) In addition to that, the personal laptop user should install some anti-malware program like malwarebytes's anti-malware program. I found on malwarebytes's website about two versions of anti-malware programs - one is completely free and one is pro version (only for 14 days trial). Is the complete free version enough for personal laptop usage?

And, as said, is bsod type of error can be detected by any one of them?

Please guide.
a b 8 Security
a c 230 $ Windows 7
October 29, 2012 9:27:51 AM

BSODs are generally caused by driver problems or some other issue with Windows. Malware or viruses can affect them as well.

MSE is enough, as is the free version of Malwarebytes (a very good program by the way).
November 18, 2012 4:00:13 PM

ashisha said:
Hi,

I recently purchased a lenovo laptop for home purpose around 1.5 months back. The laptop was having already microsoft security essentials (MSE) and mcafee antivirus plus software. Unfortunately, yesterday i was facing blue screen on death type of error (BSOD) error. On one forum, I found that it may be due to the mcafee antivirus software. So, I uninstalled the software as per suggestion.
My questions is :
Why MSE was not able to detect this bsod error ?
Moreover, why mcafee, which itself is a anti-virus software, was causing this issue?
Please help to know the exact issues in detail.

Morever, I want to install good free antivirus software. I am totally confused whether should I install the antivirus software or, the internet security software. Please throw more light on good free internet security software from longer perspective. (I just found that almost all free trials are only for 1 month only)? Moreover, why built-in windows firewall and microsoft security essentials (MSE) are not enough for detecting malacious software. Why extra internet security software or antivirus software is required ?

Thanks,
Ashish

Helo, you can try now the updated Emsisoft Internet Security Pack the complete program for 30 days download here: http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/internetsecurity/?c...
This seurity suite has the best firewall inside, the Online Armor.
I hope that you like it.
Thanks,
Pedro Silva
November 19, 2012 10:57:03 PM

First make sure it's not a virus or malware. Uninstall mcafee. Install MSE or update it since you've already got it installed, and run a scan. Install MalwareBytes, update it, and run a scan (don't get the free "trial" version, get the real free version).

If that doesn't solve the problem then you should check all the versions of your drivers and make sure they are up to date. Lenovo has the latest ones on their web site.

Let us know if that fixes it....
December 20, 2012 12:17:08 AM

hi, friends Get Kaspersky Internet Security or K7 Total Security for free.... (1year 1 Pc) just share your youtube videos and get internet security log on to http://friendshiplus.com/gift/
!