Firewalls

August 18, 2005 12:13:54 AM

Hi. I see that Symantic is taking over the free Sygate Personal Firewall which probably means it won't be free much longer.
Does anyone have any input on the free firewall at http://www.wyvernworks.com/evaluations.html

They say their advantage is detecting Trojans. Thanks for anything you can provide. deango

More about : firewalls

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 2:25:56 AM

From: "deango" <Deango@nospamtoday.com>

| Hi. I see that Symantic is taking over the free Sygate Personal Firewall which probably
| means it won't be free much longer.
| Does anyone have any input on the free firewall at
http://www.wyvernworks.com/evaluations.html

| They say their advantage is detecting Trojans. Thanks for anything you can provide.
| deango

You'll get a better response by asking in a FireWall News Group such as...
microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Have never understood the fascinaion with free firewalls, bug/trojan/key and
mouse recording/personal info seeking detection software. For a couple of
dollars a month, you can get that and more.
Why all the humbug over saving two dollars? This like the newspaper boy "I
want my two dollars" skit?

"deango" <Deango@nospamtoday.com> wrote in message
Hi. I see that Symantic is taking over the free Sygate Personal Firewall
which probably means it won't be free much longer.
Does anyone have any input on the free firewall at
http://www.wyvernworks.com/evaluations.html

They say their advantage is detecting Trojans. Thanks for anything you can
provide. deango
August 19, 2005 12:54:29 AM

I stand corrected..............Couldn't agree more and will invest in the best available.............Any idea what that might be? Thanks Dave...............deango
Lil' Dave wrote:
> Have never understood the fascination with free firewalls,
> bug/Trojan/key and mouse recording/personal info seeking detection
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 10:21:11 AM

Depends on the level of security you're looking for. I use ZA Pro
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp
in tandem with a antspyware/bug finder,
http://www.intermute.com/
and NAV 2004.
Have heard Panda is better AV though.
Stay away from McAfee stuff.
Careful of free online scanners.

Lil' Dave wrote:
> Have never understood the fascination with free firewalls,
> bug/Trojan/key and mouse recording/personal info seeking detection
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 1:47:44 PM

From: "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net>

| Depends on the level of security you're looking for. I use ZA Pro
| http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp
| in tandem with a antspyware/bug finder,
| http://www.intermute.com/
| and NAV 2004.
| Have heard Panda is better AV though.
| Stay away from McAfee stuff.
| Careful of free online scanners.

If you are using Broadband Internet then a Cable/DSL Router such as the Linksys BEFSR41 can
help a great deal as they act as simplistic FireWalls.

As always, I suggest blocking both TCP and UDP ports 135 ~ 139 and 445 on *any* SOHO Router.

--
!