Tape Backup - Removing Tape Media

Joe

When the tape is ejected from the tape device there are some manual
configurations that must be applied before the backup can proceed when i
insert a new tape (or the same tape). If I do not go through the manual
selection of the destination and backup media or file name, the scheduled
backup does not occur. is that right? is this by design?

I am thinking that I am doing something wrong. If i have two tapes, a and b,
and I eject tape a, insert tape b, then i have to reconfigure the backup
destination and backup media or file name. Is that right? If i were to name
the backup media or file name the same on each tape then should i be able to
eject tape b and insert tape a without the "re-selection".

I am thinking that becuase the backup is "scheduled" to occur at the same
time everyday that somehow the media is going to be "auto-windowcally"
recognized. However everytime i remove a tape and insert a new tape i have
to go through this process of reconfiguration, even if i am ejecting and
inserting the same tape. is that right?

I would like to implement the practice of removing the tape everyday and
storing in a secure location however the complication of reconfiguration is
making me wonder if i should bother. When i leave the same tape in there
everyday then the backup occurs right on shedule and i don't have to
configure anything. The problem is that the tape remains in the device. If
the building burns down or something then so does my backup.
--
Joe

"Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When the tape is ejected from the tape device there are some manual
> configurations that must be applied before the backup can proceed when i
> insert a new tape (or the same tape). If I do not go through the manual
> selection of the destination and backup media or file name, the scheduled
> backup does not occur. is that right? is this by design?
>
> I am thinking that I am doing something wrong. If i have two tapes, a and
> b,
> and I eject tape a, insert tape b, then i have to reconfigure the backup
> destination and backup media or file name. Is that right? If i were to
> name
> the backup media or file name the same on each tape then should i be able
> eject tape b and insert tape a without the "re-selection".
>
> I am thinking that becuase the backup is "scheduled" to occur at the same
> time everyday that somehow the media is going to be "auto-windowcally"
> recognized. However everytime i remove a tape and insert a new tape i
> have
> to go through this process of reconfiguration, even if i am ejecting and
> inserting the same tape. is that right?
>
> I would like to implement the practice of removing the tape everyday and
> storing in a secure location however the complication of reconfiguration
> is
> making me wonder if i should bother. When i leave the same tape in there
> everyday then the backup occurs right on shedule and i don't have to
> configure anything. The problem is that the tape remains in the device.
> If
> the building burns down or something then so does my backup.

You have to use a script and schedule the script. The easiest way is to go
through the ntbackup GUI, create the job and schedule it. Open the scheduled
task and copy the command line into notepad then save it as a script. Add
the /UM command at the end of the line to tell it to use whatever tape is in
the drive. This will erase the tape before backing up so make sure this is
what you want to do. Here are some links explaining how to do it with RSM
and error checking.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2005/05/NTBackup/default.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;239892&sd=tech

Kerry