Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 Ultimate Won't Boot after Bios Update

Last response: in Windows 7
October 28, 2012 5:34:01 PM

I have a desktop using a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 (revision 1) motherboard. Using the Gigabyte @Bios utility, I updated the Bios to F12. After rebooting as @Bios suggested, I can no longer get Windows to boot. I've noted the following:

1) I have issue accesing the Bios setup. Sometimes I can access it, sometimes I cannot;

2) When I am able to access the Bios, I can confirm the disk Boot Priority, however it's is now showing the drives as SCSI (I only have SATA drives);

3) There is a new setup screen displayed after the Gigabyte logo screen shows. This screen now shows 'Serial ATA AHCI, Version iSrc 1.20E.
Copyright (c) 2003-2008. Intel Corporation.
**This version supports only Hard Disk and CDROM drives. **
Please wait. This will take a few seconds.

Then shows Controller/Bus/Function/Port/Device and lists all harddrives. At the end of the drive list it shows 'AHCI Bios installed'

4. After step 3, it shows the prompt 'Loading Operating System' - the boot hangs at this point.

I DID backup the existing Bios before updating it. I have not gone in and copied that file to a floppy to try and flash the Bios using the backup (don't know if this is possible).

Thank you

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2012 6:02:34 PM

When you update the bios you change all the settings in the bios to a default status, so if you have changed any settings since you got the computer you'll have to change those settings to what you had.
Do you know if your sata mode was in IDE or AHCI before you did the bios update ?
If your sata modewas in AHCI before you'll have to set it back to that inorder to get your hard drive to work. If the bios update changed the sata mode to AHCI and it was in IDE before then you'll have to change it back to IDE.
A bios update will also mix up your boot menu order and you have to make sure that it's in the correct order.
You should only do a bios uipdate if you are having problems with the computer and a bios update will help fix it or if you added hardware that needs support from a bios update.
October 28, 2012 6:05:25 PM

I believe the BIOS was in IDE mode previously. I have tried changing the mode and get the same result. I have also confirmed the boot order and still get the same results.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2012 8:06:17 PM

Then you may have to flash the bios using your back up.
m
l
March 30, 2013 1:17:22 PM

inzone said:
When you update the bios you change all the settings in the bios to a default status, so if you have changed any settings since you got the computer you'll have to change those settings to what you had.
Do you know if your sata mode was in IDE or AHCI before you did the bios update ?
If your sata modewas in AHCI before you'll have to set it back to that inorder to get your hard drive to work. If the bios update changed the sata mode to AHCI and it was in IDE before then you'll have to change it back to IDE.
A bios update will also mix up your boot menu order and you have to make sure that it's in the correct order.
You should only do a bios uipdate if you are having problems with the computer and a bios update will help fix it or if you added hardware that needs support from a bios update.

Inzone !! Thank you so much! I backup up the bios but left it on the drive on that machine. Then it wouldn't boot. Your suggestion was right. I added 2 hard drives after I built the machine. It was trying to boot from the wrong drive I Googled the problem and got this thread. Thanks so much.

m
l
!