what happened to my activiation

I have a new Dell that came with winxppro installed.
I did a bunch of updates that were pending.

Now it says I have to activate.
That I should go to All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Activation

There is no such thing listed in System Tools.

And I distinctly remember activating when first starting the computer up.

I have the label, I have the book, But it won't let me update to the newest
available updates because I didn't pass activation.

Help please.

"Monopoly? No, we just don't want competition."

Bill H. in Chicagoland
3 answers Last reply
More about what happened activiation

    And the tech support folks at Dell have said what?

    "FireBrick" <w9ol.nospam@comcast.com> wrote in message
    >I have a new Dell that came with winxppro installed.
    > I did a bunch of updates that were pending.
    >
    > Now it says I have to activate.
    > That I should go to All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Activation
    >
    > There is no such thing listed in System Tools.
    >
    > And I distinctly remember activating when first starting the computer up.
    >
    > I have the label, I have the book, But it won't let me update to the
    > newest available updates because I didn't pass activation.
    >

    > Help please.

    > "Monopoly? No, we just don't want competition."
    >
    > Bill H. in Chicagoland

    "FireBrick" <w9ol.nospam@comcast.com> wrote in message
    >I have a new Dell that came with winxppro installed.
    > I did a bunch of updates that were pending.
    >
    > Now it says I have to activate.
    > That I should go to All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Activation
    >
    > There is no such thing listed in System Tools.
    >
    > And I distinctly remember activating when first starting the computer up.
    >
    > I have the label, I have the book, But it won't let me update to the
    > newest available updates because I didn't pass activation.
    >

    > Help please.

    > "Monopoly? No, we just don't want competition."
    >
    > Bill H. in Chicagoland

    Likely that the Windows XP pre-installed by Dell does not require
    activation. I suspect what you did when you first started your computer was
    registration {optional} not activation. When you try to download updates,
    Microsoft is asking you to authenticate your Windows XP to verify that it is
    a legal copy. When I authenticated, I was offered a choice between entering
    the 25 digit Windows XP product key or identify my computer. I suspect {but
    am not sure} that if you entered the 25 digit key from the computer label it
    did not match the generic key left by Dell when they pre-installed Windows
    XP. Suggest you try the alternate method of OEM and computer identification.
    If that does not work, call Dell Technical Support.

    Don

    A miracle
    Because I have 'download updates automatically' it fixed itself that
    night....
    When I walked in this morning, all the updates where downloaded,
    No 'not activated' message.

    I still can't see any 'ACTIVATION' in the System Tools area though.

    "FireBrick" <w9ol.nospam@comcast.com> wrote in message
    >I have a new Dell that came with winxppro installed.
    > I did a bunch of updates that were pending.
    >
    > Now it says I have to activate.
    > That I should go to All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Activation
    >
    > There is no such thing listed in System Tools.
    >
    > And I distinctly remember activating when first starting the computer up.
    >
    > I have the label, I have the book, But it won't let me update to the
    > newest available updates because I didn't pass activation.
    >

    > Help please.

    > "Monopoly? No, we just don't want competition."
    >
    > Bill H. in Chicagoland

Microsoft Windows XP