Tags:
  • Flat Panel Monitors
  • Graphics Cards
  • Monitors
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
March 31, 2010 2:05:21 PM

Hello all,

I'm looking at getting a new monitor for my gaming PC. I have a 19" atm and am using it mainly for BFBC2 and have a Powercolor HD4870 1Gb graphic card in the PC.

What sort of spec should i be looking for in a monitor? and do you think a 22" or a 24"?

Thanks

More about : overkill

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 1, 2010 2:47:40 PM

Get 24"

I can tell you this. It isn't overkill at all. I have a 30" and I think I can go a little bigger, then it would be overkill.

There is only one thing I would look out for, that is "color saturation" but not many manufacturers advertise this because they are mostly bad. Typical is 72%. I had an acer that only have 68% which is bad while I have a samsung which has 78% being really good. Or you can get a really really expensive monitor that has some ridiculous number over 100%

The other specs don't matter such as:

Contrast Ratio which is always 1000:1, but they would advertise a ridiculous number with dynamic contrast which doesn't really work.
Response time: You won't find a TN panel higher than 5ms
Viewing angle: Always bad, manufacturers exaggerate too much anyway
April 1, 2010 5:53:08 PM

OK thanks for the clarification.

One more thing, What about brands? Obviuosly i wanna get the cheapest one i can and you can obviously get value brand monitors. Any brand I should steer clear of? or should I def stick with main brands? (i.e Sony,samsung,acer,etc)
April 8, 2010 8:22:25 PM

do you think a Benq G2410HD would be a good choice?
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 9, 2010 4:51:19 AM

BenQ makes good monitors. To be honest most products are quite similar if you are looking at average panels. The technology is so mature and hasn't changed for a few years now. You can't really go wrong.
April 14, 2010 3:04:20 PM

Bigger is better IMO. I have a 30' and a 24' and I want bigger. I want 2 50' =D
!