USB Hardware requires Admin privileges to be installed

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.beta.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Get this message when trying to connect blackberry phone to xp pro:

__You must be a member of the Administrators group on this computer to
install this hardware__

Now, the user isn't logged in as administrator but why would he need it to
sync his device??? I tried connecting my usb key with the same results.

However on my machine i could do both those things without any issues

and i'm not logged in as Admin.

On the microsoft's website the closest i found was article stating that this
happens with

irda devices and SP2. However the desktop only has SP1 installed (no it's
not an option to upgrade and see

if it helps). http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;893476

Any idea on how to resolve this issue would be much appreciated.

PS: the device is Blackberry 7100g
4 answers Last reply
More about hardware requires admin privileges installed
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.beta.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Most likely the account in question is a Limted account. You can change this
    by going to your control panel, then to User Accounts. From there you should
    see options on changing the account type. You want to change it to a
    Computer Admistrator account as opposed to Limited.

    Hope that helps

    "asdf" wrote:

    > Get this message when trying to connect blackberry phone to xp pro:
    >
    > __You must be a member of the Administrators group on this computer to
    > install this hardware__
    >

    > Now, the user isn't logged in as administrator but why would he need it to
    > sync his device??? I tried connecting my usb key with the same results.
    >
    > However on my machine i could do both those things without any issues
    >
    > and i'm not logged in as Admin.
    >

    > On the microsoft's website the closest i found was article stating that this
    > happens with
    >
    > irda devices and SP2. However the desktop only has SP1 installed (no it's
    > not an option to upgrade and see
    >
    > if it helps). http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;893476
    >

    > Any idea on how to resolve this issue would be much appreciated.
    >

    > PS: the device is Blackberry 7100g

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.beta.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "asdf" <asdf9sadf@dha-234.com> wrote in message
    > Get this message when trying to connect blackberry phone to xp pro:
    >
    > __You must be a member of the Administrators group on this computer to
    > install this hardware__

    This may help you,

    Give the user permission to load drivers, you can access this going to the
    Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy > Local
    Policies > User Rights Assignment > Load and Unload Device Drivers.

    Add the user to the policy.

    --
    William
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.beta.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    as i said user has a limited account. His ssetup is exactly as is mine
    but it works on my machine. Both machines are also part of the domain
    so i don't know if i can change local policies.

    Also another weirdness that i noticed on his machine:
    when i right click on my computer and then manage adn then click on device
    manager
    there is nothing in the right pane. Not because computer is waiting to
    display
    all the stuff but because its just empty space. Usually i would expect to
    see
    all the hardware that is installed or detected on the machine but in this
    case
    i don't see anythihng.

    "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "asdf" <asdf9sadf@dha-234.com> wrote in message
    > > Get this message when trying to connect blackberry phone to xp pro:
    > >
    > > __You must be a member of the Administrators group on this computer to
    > > install this hardware__
    > >

    > This may help you,
    >
    > Give the user permission to load drivers, you can access this going to the
    > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy > Local
    > Policies > User Rights Assignment > Load and Unload Device Drivers.
    >
    > Add the user to the policy.
    >
    > --
    > William

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.beta.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    > "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "asdf" <asdf9sadf@dha-234.com> wrote in message
    >> > Get this message when trying to connect blackberry phone to xp pro:
    >> >
    >> > __You must be a member of the Administrators group on this computer to
    >> > install this hardware__
    >> >

    >> This may help you,
    >>
    >> Give the user permission to load drivers, you can access this going to
    >> the
    >> Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy > Local
    >> Policies > User Rights Assignment > Load and Unload Device Drivers.
    >>
    >> Add the user to the policy.
    >>
    > as i said user has a limited account. His ssetup is exactly as is mine
    > but it works on my machine. Both machines are also part of the domain
    > so i don't know if i can change local policies.
    >
    > Also another weirdness that i noticed on his machine:
    > when i right click on my computer and then manage adn then click on device
    > manager
    > there is nothing in the right pane. Not because computer is waiting to
    > display
    > all the stuff but because its just empty space. Usually i would expect to
    > see
    > all the hardware that is installed or detected on the machine but in this
    > case
    > i don't see anythihng.

    I would contact the domain administrator to solve these problems.

    --
    William

Hardware Microsoft Windows XP