Double Icons in Control Panel

August 18, 2005 12:22:01 AM

In my Control Panel, I have two of each Icons.
Two add remove programs, 2 Internet options, 2 system and on and on.
With my 3rd party Icons there are only of each. Does anyone know how to
delete one of the duplicate Icons? These are not shortcut Icons! Both Icons
take you to the correct function. Help! It doesant hurt anything but it
drives me nuts whenever I go to my Control Panel.
August 18, 2005 1:04:00 AM

All items in the Control Panel have their files in \system32. Look there for
files ending in .CPL and verify then delete duplicates.

"Perry" <Perry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In my Control Panel, I have two of each Icons.
> Two add remove programs, 2 Internet options, 2 system and on and on.
> With my 3rd party Icons there are only of each. Does anyone know how to
> delete one of the duplicate Icons? These are not shortcut Icons! Both
> Icons
> take you to the correct function. Help! It doesant hurt anything but it
> drives me nuts whenever I go to my Control Panel.
January 10, 2008 4:19:54 PM

Hi,
I have the same problem. How do I know which one to keep?
Do I keep the largest file or the oldest?
Thanks in advance
July 3, 2009 2:23:18 PM

Spittie-1 said:
Hi,
I have the same problem. How do I know which one to keep?
Do I keep the largest file or the oldest?
Thanks in advance

I had this problem too. I removed the one that had a (2) in the file name and it worked fine.
!