Different Core for P4

DjKlown

Distinguished
May 20, 2003

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Out of curiosity, what exactly are the responsibilities of your job? How much are you supposed to know about hardware and how often do you work with hardware?

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>

DjKlown

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
Im a Help Desk Technician mostly on the software side. Take phone calls and do misc hardware replacent and a few other things.Some what of a A+ certification job. Im only 19 yrs old. They wouldnt have hired me if i didnt know anything about computers and servers. Trust me i know what is needed to know to get my job done. I havent kept up with the different Core technologies since the p3 1.4. I have been reading THG everyday for about the past 2 months and before that my computer went on the fritz and havent had any time to fix her up, so i just use the extra computer i have in my house ( Toshiba laptop with a 2.4 Ghz p4 *sisters that doesnt even know how to burn a CD*, 233 Pentium MMX, and a 75 pentium) my main computer is a dual P3 500 katami core slot 1 with a Iwill board(getting upgraded to at least a 2.0 p4 because i want to just save my money for the new pin config for 2004) I know a lot about hardware i just dont necessarily keep up with the exact time the technology changes.

Mike

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, the P4 from 1.3GHz to 2.0GHz was originally a Willimette. Late Willies were also available in Socket 478.

The Northwood is avaiable in 1.6, 1.8, and 2.0GHz at the same speeds as the Willimette. Higher speeds are all Northwood.

The Northwood CPU's are distinguished by venders in one or more ways: 512K Cache, Northwood, or an A after the speed (1.6A, 1.8A, 2.0A).

Your best bet for low cost Intels is some Asus P4S533 motherboards, Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, and the fastest P4 Northwood CPUs you can afford with what's left.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

DjKlown

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
Thanks so much for explaining that to me. Thats what i was thinking since they changed the cache on them and some vendors i was looking at had the A revision at the end of that you were talking about.

Just so i have this perfectly clear the P4's with the 428 socket were "willies" and the 478 socket was when they changed to the northwood design?

Thanks,
Mike

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, some 478's were willies. The following Socket 478 processor speeds were available in EITHER core:

1.6GHz
1.8GHz
2.0GHz

The following Socket 478 processors were Willimette Only:

1.5GHz
1.7GHz
1.9GHz

The following Socket 478 processors were Northwood only:

2.13GHz
2.2GHz
2.25GHz
2.4GHz
2.5GHz
2.53GHz
2.6GHz
2.67GHz
2.8GHz
3.06GHz

So basically the P4 Willimette only went as high as 2.0GHz. For the 3 speeds that had Either core, you have to look at other factors: The Northwood version of the 1.6GHz, 1.8GHz, and 2.0GHz will be labled as having 512k cache, .13 micron, Northwood, or have an A after the name (1.6A, 1.8A, 2.0A). All of these indicators mean Northwood.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Not really considering what Intel was trying to do. Intel told EVERYONE before Socket 423 was released that it was a temporary platform, it was going to be replaced. They hadn't finallized Socket 478 specifications yet. When they did, they released it, but there wasn't any Northwood processors for it! Now, they had two choices: Force their customers (mostly large OEM's like Dell) to convert the motherboard and CPU simultaniously, or release the board FIRST with a Socket 478 Willy.

Now, Intel garuntees an upgrade path to their OEMs. Which means that no Dell should have been factory equiped with a 2.0GHz S423 processor, as that was the "upgrade processor" for older boards. Instead, all Dell 2.0GHz machines had to be S478, so that they could take 2.4GHz processors, etc. Without the Woody in production, Intel provided Willies in Socket 478. So the Socket 478 Willy was a transition processor, and the Socket 423 Willy 2.0GHz was the "upgrade path" for older boards!