Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking Celeron 1.2Ghz

Last response: in CPUs
June 3, 2003 3:46:19 PM

My work computer is a Celeron-S (Tualatin Core) 1200Mhz (12x100Mhz).

I was wondering if it is possible to overclock it? If so, would it be simple? Maybe direct me to a site that shows how to do it.

Thanks

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tmlim on 06/03/03 11:23 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 3, 2003 6:33:58 PM

I have the same processor. It can be overlocked to nearly 1.4 GHz (116 MHz FSB) without increasing voltage. To get beyond that you will need a bios that allows you to use a higher core voltage. I can take it from 1.45 volts to 1.65 volts, enabling me to reach 1.5 GHz (125 MHz FSB). Unfortunately it is not stable. For some reason, if I restart my system after leaving it off for a few minutes, it won't get into Windows any more (maybe my power supply)? It does behave very well at 1.44 GHz (120 MHz FSB).

To reach 1.6 GHz (so you make full use of 133 MHz SDRAM), you'll need a wire trick to get the core voltage to 1.85 volts. But that will seriously shorten the life of your processor. Cooling is not a big problem since the Tualatin is based on the .13 micron technology and has a modest number of transistors.

At the moment my processor is not overclocked. Quite frankly, you don't really notice the 20% difference and 1.44 GHz is nothing to brag about...
June 3, 2003 7:04:56 PM

Any increase in speed will help. I run analysis software and I need to crank every ounce of speed out of this sucker.

Is it easy to overclock it? Is it as simple as changing jumpers like the old pentium 2 CPUs?
Related resources
June 3, 2003 7:33:02 PM

What motherboard is the CPU running on? Idealy the make and model, if at all possible.

If you want real good advice on overclocking Intel CPUs, I recommend waiting for <b>Crashman</b> to pop along. He's extremely good with this type of thing, and has helped me overclock my old Celeron 1.4 GHz previously!

<font color=orange><b>Some people don't realise that a mere two hours backing up their data is far quicker than redoing all the work again!</b></font color=orange>
June 3, 2003 11:23:54 PM

Download <b>HWiNFO32</b> from <A HREF="http://www.hwinfo.com/" target="_new">here</A>, and post a report from it.

<font color=orange><b>Some people don't realise that a mere two hours backing up their data is far quicker than redoing all the work again!</b></font color=orange>
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 4, 2003 1:04:31 AM

OK, you want to overclock, and you have a Dell. Well, you have the 1.2GHz Celeron...these will sometimes do 1600MHz at 133MHz bus. You can manually force your CPU to 133MHz bus by breaking a pin off (!). And you can manually force your CPU to 1.65v by bridging VID1 to VID2 (it's actually closing VID2 to VSS, by connecting to the closer VID1 pin).

Now, I have my doubts about your CPU actually reaching 1600MHz, but 133 is the ONLY bus speed increase you can get! It would be much better if you had a Celeron 1100, as an increase to 133MHz bus would yield a more reasonable 1466MHz.

Still, if you want to try it, I can email you a chart with the info you need. PM me your email address for that option (never leave your email in an open forum as it attracts spammers).

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
June 4, 2003 8:26:43 AM

Have a look here: <A HREF="http://www.cpudatabase.com/CPUdb/" target="_new">Overclockers CPU database</A>. Mind that some of these people are just lying, have an exceptionally good chip, or some of them have a different definition of 'stable'. Taking that into account, I think you can conclude that 1600 MHz cannot be reached with only 0.2 core voltage increase.

To overclock you need to be able to adjust the FSB clock speed in the BIOS. I'm not sure if Dell allows you to do this. Secondly, to reach clock frequencies higher than 1400 MHz the core voltage will have to be increased. This is probably totally not allowed on a Dell. So you have to do a trick that connects two pins to get 0.2 volts increase. But like I just said, that's not enough to reach 1600 MHz, plus you risk fireworks and 0 MHz...

So again I advise you to leave it the way it was designed. Better safe than sorry. If you really need higher performance, either upgrade to the 1400 GHz server model with 133 MHz FSB and double cache, or just spend a little more money on a Pentium 4 at 2.4 GHz with 800 MHz FSB and Hyper-Threading.

This brings us to the most important question of this thread: why do you need this performance increase? Whatever you 'analysis software' is, you'd be better off with investing in a new system than risking total system failure for a few percent.
June 4, 2003 8:55:20 AM

<A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com/tips716/" target="_new">"Celeron 1.2 @ 1.6 GHZ - How Easy Will It Be?"</A>

It required him to lower temerature a few degrees to reach 1.6 GHz and keep it stable. This means that if ambient temerature rises (it's a sunny day), the system is unstable. In your case this would mean loosing all your work. The only real solution is to use things like water cooling, but I'm sure this doesn't fit in a Dell.

So once again, and I know I'm starting to sound annoying, keep it at the default and be certain that it will keep working for years under any condition. The price of overclocking, including the risk of total system loss, is higher than upgrading.
!