New Install Hangs On Boot (long)

August 18, 2005 2:20:15 AM

I have just upgraded my computer.

My C: drive crashed and I used that excuse to buy a WD3200 320G SATA drive.
My old MB wouldn't support the SATA so I bought a ECS 848P-A and a 512M DDR
memory.

I tried a new install of XP (Home) onto a 40G drive as primary which had 27G
free space. It would only install to the point where the screen was saying
installing devices and there was 33 min left on the install. At that point it
would stop. The little bar on the lower right would freeze. I left it like
this for over 30 min to see if it would clear, it never did.

I figured that there might be a problem with stuff on the drive so I removed
it and installed a 13G that I had laying around. I formatted it during the
install so it should have been clean. It would install and ran until I
installed the motherboard and video card drivers. When it went to reboot it
would quit. It would go to the XP splash screen and stop. The blue bar would
keep cycling but it would never proceed. I left it up all night one night to
see if it would and it didn't.

The last setup I tried is with the new motherboard (ECS 848P-a), new memory
(512M DDR), a new HDD (WD3200 320G). The only thing common to the old
installation is the processor (1.8G Pentium 4), the power supply, the CD
drives, the keyboard and the mouse.

XP will install but locks up on the final reboot. It will not start even in
the safe mode.

Frankly, I am stumped, I have changed out everything I can think of and
reformatted and reinstalled. I have pulled all the cards with the exception
of the video card and it is making no difference at all. The HDD is brand
new, right out of the box and I formatted it. The MB is right out of the box
as is the memory. I have been able to get far enough to connect to the
Internet so the likelihood of a virus is very small. It would also have to
travel across 3 different HDD, 2 different MBs and 2 different memories.
Highly unlikely. And no, I am not using a bootleg installation disk, unless
Costco has taken to selling those. It is the same installation disk that I
used to install two previous incarnations of my computer.

My son, who builds computers, can only suggest the power supply since that
is virtually the only common component.

What should I try next?
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 5:52:51 AM

What's the wattage on your power supply? I'm inclined to vote with your son
on this one.

> What should I try next?
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 8:16:03 AM

"Otho" wrote:

> What's the wattage on your power supply? I'm inclined to vote with your son
> on this one.

It is 300 Watts.
Related resources
August 18, 2005 9:27:21 AM

Schmuck281 wrote:

> "Otho" wrote:
>
>> What's the wattage on your power supply? I'm inclined to vote with
>> your son on this one.
>>
> It is 300 Watts.

Swap it out for a more powerful, known-working one.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

"Malke" wrote:

The MB specs call for 300W, I bought a new one and installed it, reformatted
and reinstalled XP. No change, hangs in exactly the same place.
August 18, 2005 8:45:29 PM

Schmuck281 wrote:

> "Malke" wrote:
>

> The MB specs call for 300W, I bought a new one and installed it,
> reformatted and reinstalled XP. No change, hangs in exactly the same
> place.

See if this helps:

Setup stops responding with 34 minutes remaining -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828267&Product=winxp

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 5:32:03 AM

=?Utf-8?B?U2NobXVjazI4MQ==?= wrote:

> installed the motherboard and video card drivers. When it went to reboot it
> would quit. It would go to the XP splash screen and stop. The blue bar would

Got anti-virus disabled, as required, in the bios?

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/
!