Sign in with
Your question

CPU problem! I think...

Last response: in CPUs
June 3, 2003 7:55:39 PM

I've been having this weird problem since I built this PC. It's P3 3.0Ghz, 1gb kingston hyperx pc3500, aiw r9700 pro, abit ic7 and WinXP Pro SP1. Anyways, whenever I try to turn the PC on it will either go on for half a sec, then shut down, or I will get this message "CPU unworkable or has been changed." If I press F1 to continue it will work fine. Sometimes if I just keep trying in a few tries it will load without any error. Is it something wrong with my CPU!? It's a retail I got from newegg, as a matter of fact my whole PC is from newegg. BTW how does an Intel thermal pad looks like? Because when I got my CPU and I look at the bottom of the HSF, it just looks like it's copper, or aluminum, you know, that metalic orangy color. I assumed since it doesn't come with thermal grease so it must have the pad on. Then the guy at the PC store told me it's too hot so he put some grease on the CPU. Hope this helps, this is getting very annoying and I'm worried about my new PC! Please help!

More about : cpu problem

June 3, 2003 9:12:19 PM

a random problem like that is most likely a psu failing.

<font color=red> black </font color=red> <font color=green> white </font color=green> <font color=blue> yellow </font color=blue> <font color=orange> purple </font color=orange> <font color=black> red </font color=black> <font color=yellow> green </font color=yellow> <font color=purple> blue </font color=purple>
June 3, 2003 11:50:40 PM

But it's a new Antec TruePower 430W :( 
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 4, 2003 12:48:56 AM

First of all, that message "CPU is unworkable or has been changed" is a lame Abit BIOS "feature", go into BIOS and disable "CPU Speed Error Hold" from the Softmenu III menu.

OK now Intel doesn't use thermal pads on their copper-base heatsinks, they are supposed to include some theremal paste in the package. It might be in the package that contains the sticker and warranty info. Otherwise you should let Intel know about this oversite.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
June 4, 2003 2:45:19 AM

Cool, so I'm fine since I have thermal grease on the heatsink, and the temperature is fine(although it seemed a bit high, but I believe it was due to Abit's mobo), my PC ain't gonna break any time soon? :) 
a b à CPUs
June 4, 2003 2:47:41 AM

It sounds fine to me!

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
!