PC switches off after few seconds

I have a Peformance 800 - P3/128MB which has worked fine until now. I turn
the power-switch on, but the power only comes on for a few seconds and then
the PC switches off again. This repeats itself every time. Can anyone tell
me what's going on and what I can do about it?
TIA.
Eos.

Possibly a failing power supply. Possibly a failed cooling fan, either CPU or
inside the power supply.

Open up the chassis. See if the CPU cooling fan rotates freely. See if the
power supply fan rotates freely. If one or the other is frozen up, replace it.
Clean out the interior of the computer chassis and the power supply. A can of
compressed air available from most office supply and computer stores has its
detractors, but it has worked fine for me on hundreds of computers serviced
here... Ben Myers