Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 OEM installation missing files?

Last response: in Windows 7
October 28, 2012 10:49:42 PM

Hey guys, to start, I have been looking all over this site and finally found a thread where the guy was having the EXACT same problem as I was.

Just so I don't have to explain it all again, here it is:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/10109-63-error-instal...

I wouldn't have posted this, but it seems that thread was closed for whatever reason.

Yes, my copy is LEGIT. I bought it from Newegg.com just a few months and installed everything just fine. I am giving my build to my father so I can build another for myself so I wanted to wipe everything clean and give it him like I has just built it. BUT I kept getting the same EXACT error message the guy in the thread listed was getting. I also am not too computer savy so please try to bare with me. I've already spent 3 hours on hold and communicating with Microsoft reps for them to tell me "Call Newegg, looks like you got a pirated copy."

I just don't see how with it coming from Newegg and it installing just fine when I first installed it.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the help. Again, sorry for my "noobieness". Lol
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2012 11:09:11 PM

After reading the other thread it seems like there are many types of scams out there and not only you can be a victim of a scam but a retailor can also if they are not careful. You may have recieved a pirated copy witout you knowing it and Newegg could have sold it to you witout them knowing it was pirated. Think about it , what would it tke for a person working in a huge company to switch a new copy of Windows for a pirated copy and neither the company or the buyer knows. So while in good faith you have pyrchased the disc from Newegg it is a possability it not genuine.
The kicker here is Microsoft telling you that you have a pirated copy.
In order to erase and clean your hard drive you need to get a usb stick and make it bootable, then laod Linux on to it and boot into the Linux OS and once there you'll be able to format the hard drive.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/create-a-usb-stick-...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 29, 2012 12:37:36 AM

this is a oem from microsoft did you reinstall it on the same system without changing any parts
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 29, 2012 12:42:22 AM

Hi :) 

Tell Newegg what Microsoft said....

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
October 29, 2012 6:14:27 PM

@Scout - no I didnt replace any parts at all

@ Brett and inzone - Well, turns out I actually didn't buy my OEM Windows 7 from Newegg, I had bought everything else for my build from them, but had actually bought my version from our local computer store.

I brought the disc back to the store today and told them what was going on and what Microsoft had said so they said they would burn me a new disc.

Well, they didn't actually burn me a new disc, they gave me a new disc for windows 7, although, it doesnt appear to be "new", looks like it has been used a few times (due to the minor scratches on the disc) and it doesnt appear to be an OEM version.. Atleast I dont think it is because it doesnt say anything on the disc about "This product is only intended to be distrubted with Pc build materials" (or whatever the heck it says).

My question is, will there be any problems with this or should I just go ahead and throw the disc in and attempt to install it. I don't want to mess this up. Again, sorry for the ignorance, but appreciate all the help! Thanks guys!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 29, 2012 7:25:44 PM

wthunt11 said:
@Scout - no I didnt replace any parts at all

@ Brett and inzone - Well, turns out I actually didn't buy my OEM Windows 7 from Newegg, I had bought everything else for my build from them, but had actually bought my version from our local computer store.

I brought the disc back to the store today and told them what was going on and what Microsoft had said so they said they would burn me a new disc.

Well, they didn't actually burn me a new disc, they gave me a new disc for windows 7, although, it doesnt appear to be "new", looks like it has been used a few times (due to the minor scratches on the disc) and it doesnt appear to be an OEM version.. Atleast I dont think it is because it doesnt say anything on the disc about "This product is only intended to be distrubted with Pc build materials" (or whatever the heck it says).

My question is, will there be any problems with this or should I just go ahead and throw the disc in and attempt to install it. I don't want to mess this up. Again, sorry for the ignorance, but appreciate all the help! Thanks guys!

This has NOTHING to do with the DISC....Its the KEY that's important....

Did you local store give you a BRAND NEW KEY ?

If not go back and say...when you leave the store you WILL report them to MS..... that should get you a GENUINE UNUSED KEY...

m
l
October 29, 2012 7:32:00 PM

Brett928S2 said:

This has NOTHING to do with the DISC....Its the KEY that's important....

Did you local store give you a BRAND NEW KEY ?

If not go back and say...when you leave the store you WILL report them to MS..... that should get you a GENUINE UNUSED KEY...

So even the product key that I had ORIGINALLY got is bad aswell? I will call them back and tell them microsoft said I need a new key too if the disk is messed up.

If I have a product key that worked when I first bought it, I cant use it? Thanks
m
l
October 29, 2012 7:51:47 PM

Also, hate to double post before You could answer my last question, but I just got off the phone with both the dealer and Microsoft and they both told me as long as I have that product that I was originally issued then it should install just fine and that a new product key should not be distributed to me. The disc may have had corrupt files but the KEY was legitimate.

Not standing up for them whatsoever, I'm just telling you what they said, could you clairfy for me why you think I need ANOTHER key? Just trying to understand and it seems like neither my local computer store or Microsoft think I should get a new key. Thanks for all the help again guys.
m
l
a c 411 $ Windows 7
October 29, 2012 7:56:38 PM

Skip entering your Windows 7 product key and complete the installation.

Once you reach the desktop, click Start, right click Computer

Click Properties

Scroll down to Windows Activation

Click the link x days until activation.

Click the link that says 'Show me other ways to activate'

Enter product key

Click Next

Select Phone Activation

Click Next when Enter your key page displayed

Select your country

Click Next, call the number listed

Remember to explain to the call agent your situation.

They will give you a confirmation ID, enter it

Click Next to complete the activation.

This will usually clear it up ^ microsoft.com ^ :D  :D  :D 
m
l
a c 411 $ Windows 7
October 29, 2012 8:01:00 PM

This is an error that occurs when you don't have a previous os that qualifies you to use the upgrade media.
m
l
October 29, 2012 8:08:01 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Skip entering your Windows 7 product key and complete the installation.

Once you reach the desktop, click Start, right click Computer

Click Properties

Scroll down to Windows Activation

Click the link x days until activation.

Click the link that says 'Show me other ways to activate'

Enter product key

Click Next

Select Phone Activation

Click Next when Enter your key page displayed

Select your country

Click Next, call the number listed

Remember to explain to the call agent your situation.

They will give you a confirmation ID, enter it

Click Next to complete the activation.

This will usually clear it up ^ microsoft.com ^ :D  :D  :D 

Thanks for the help man! I will surely be trying this when I get home. Pretty confident this will work out.

As far as your very last statement. That would happen even if I wasnt trying to upgrade at all? It was an original OEM for a brand new PC I had just built, thought I could do a re-install and wipe everything out as much as I wanted as long as I was on the same MOBO. Am I wrong? (For future reference so I don't have to deal with this again)
m
l
a c 411 $ Windows 7
October 29, 2012 8:12:21 PM

The automated phone option will work.
m
l
October 29, 2012 8:12:57 PM

inzone said:
The kicker here is Microsoft telling you that you have a pirated copy.
In order to erase and clean your hard drive you need to get a usb stick and make it bootable, then laod Linux on to it and boot into the Linux OS and once there you'll be able to format the hard drive.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/create-a-usb-stick-...

Also, should I do this before I re-install windows? Didn't know if this was like a mandatory thing. Thanks!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 29, 2012 9:44:17 PM

The only reason I suggested it was that in the event you had trouble formating the drive with the Windows folder on it. The best and aesiest way to do it is to delete the partition and then create a new one and format it.
m
l
October 29, 2012 11:37:52 PM

Put the new cd in and started the installation. Still got the same message

"Windows can not install required files. File may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files for installation are available and restart installation. Error cord : 0x80070570"

This is the new CD I just got from the Dealer today. Gets to the very end of the installation and bam. This.

Help please?? Beyond frustrated.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 29, 2012 11:43:55 PM

Time to look at the DVD drive as a possible cause.
m
l
a c 411 $ Windows 7
October 30, 2012 12:10:45 AM

Could it be a ram module issue?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 30, 2012 1:26:12 AM

I'm starting to wonder if it's the hard drive and maybe you can set the partition manualy and format it because something is preventing the install from completting.
It may be a pain to do and frutrating but can you try to do the install a couple of times in a row and see if you can get past this point ?
m
l
October 30, 2012 1:33:00 AM

inzone said:
I'm starting to wonder if it's the hard drive and maybe you can set the partition manualy and format it because something is preventing the install from completting.
It may be a pain to do and frutrating but can you try to do the install a couple of times in a row and see if you can get past this point ?

I actually did just that. I sat there and reinstalled about 9 times and then bam, it randomly just went through. I installed all my drivers and it seems to be working just fine now. Weird :/  I have no idea what was going on. Microsoft people had no idea either (was on the phone with them for several hours) lol

Another weird point though, (this may just be my ignorance) but I have never seen "UEFI Windows Boot Manager" take the Priority (first slot) at my BIOS screen. It used to be just my HDD and my CD/DVD drive that would show up there. Why the heck won't think Window's Boot Manager go away? The booting up of my computer takes longer now...

Thanks for being patient with me guys! Appreciate all the help. Really.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 30, 2012 1:36:07 AM

You may want to check out your hard drive as there may be a problem with it and could get worse. Maybe when you get a chance and some extra cash you can replace it.
m
l
October 30, 2012 1:45:49 AM

inzone said:
You may want to check out your hard drive as there may be a problem with it and could get worse. Maybe when you get a chance and some extra cash you can replace it.

Funny thing, I had just ordered a SSD to put in my new build because I was giving this one to my father. How should I go about looking into the hdd to see if that really is the problem? If that's the case, I could just put the SSD I just got in here and re install...

Kind of afraid to do that now though, since I DON'T know it's my harddrive, don't want to be stuck re installing Windows 15 more times hoping to get lucky, you know? What would you do in my situation?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 30, 2012 1:47:34 AM

You have a marginal DVD drive. Replace it, they're cheap.
m
l
October 30, 2012 2:01:00 AM

ex_bubblehead said:
You have a marginal DVD drive. Replace it, they're cheap.

Well, I have everything installed now, but everything starts up through Windows Boot Manager in my Bios..

I have this guys problem now:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120426104...

I did what that guy there told him to do, but Windows didn't find any Start up repairs to fix.... (I realize this isnt a major problem, the hard part is over, I just want everything to go back to normal, and this WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER with a UEFI ribbon on it was never at the top of my Boot Priority List. Thanks again.
m
l
October 31, 2012 2:51:00 AM

Just wanted to come back and say thanks to everyone that helped me out! Finally found a solution to all of my problems...

Ran the Memtest86 boot program and found one of my ram sticks to be completely corrupt! Everything is running smoothly and Windows reinstalled without a problem this go around.

Thanks everyone! Until next time!
m
l
!