Athlon 2000+ at 100mhz FSB

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
Hey. In my new comp (K7N2D-ILSR MX440 ATHLON 2000+ and 256mb ram) I cant run my processor at 133fsb. It will only run at 100mhz fsb which is 1250 mhz, not the usual 1.667 for a 2000+. When I put it at 133fsb, it causes all sorts of problems. If I try to boot into windows, safe mode or normal, it freezes, tells me random files are corrupt, gives me bsods of different varities, and just shuts off. If I try and boot off of a disk, it will shut off and not turn back on until I unplug it and let it sit for 30 seconds. The files it says are corrupt are different such as, nostrkl.sys, nf_agp.sys, mup.sys, and driver32.sys. The bsods are PFN_LIST_CORRUPT, DRIVER_IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL, REGISTRY ERROR, and a stop caused by nv4_disp.dll. At 100mhz fsb everything works fine. Please help

<b><font color=red>Remember kids, if you see a downed power line, suck on the end, candy comes out!</font color=red></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If I try and boot off of a disk, it will shut off and not turn back on until I unplug it and let it sit for 30 seconds.

That makes it sound like the power supply is overloading. Many power supplies (even a lot of cheap ones) have thermal overload protection and won't restart until they have had time to cool.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
That would make sense, becuase often times the power supply feels really hot. Could it be why the cpu wont go to 133fsb?

<b><font color=red>Remember kids, if you see a downed power line, suck on the end, candy comes out!</font color=red></b>

endyen

Splendid
That could be the case. Check to see if you have worse voltages in bios at 133 rather than 100.
You should also make sure that jumper 10 is set to 133 and that jumper 11 is shorted.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Easily. The faster you crank up the CPU speed, the more power it takes to run it. The more power it uses, the more stress it puts on the power supply to feed that power.

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
The jumpers are set right, I just checked them. I unplugged most of my peripherals except the boot hd, and it still wont boot at 133fsb. Any other suggestions?
Thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I believe your CPU runs from the 3.3v line, while the drives run from the 12v line. So removing drives doesn't always help. Do you have access to another power supply (a better one) that you can use to do a test?

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
No I dont. I was using a super crappy 250watt that probably only did like 110 for real. I am now using a fairly good HEC 350 watt dual fan. I dont have any other power supplies to test from... Here are some voltage readings taken after playing sof2 for a couple of hours (1-hrs)
CPU TEMP 49C
SYS TEMP 38C
VCORE 1.733v
3.3v 3.33 volt
+5v 5.08 volt
+12v 11.70 volt

Turk

Distinguished
May 25, 2003
Checked what kind of ram u are using, might be only pc 1600 if older? And try with bios defaults, could help

Finally you say its a new rig, well send it back to the shop and let them worry!

GL

Turk

PS If you are running dualchannel then check your rammodules for compatibility!

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
Im using best buy brand 256mb pc2100. The guy from MSI said it might be my ram, so i guess ill try some new stuff

endyen

Splendid
Your sys temp seems a bit high. Is the north bridge fan running nicely? It's held on with plastic clips, are they seated properly? It does sound kind of like a north bridge problem. Getting close to rma time. Good luck.

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
and if you try aggressive memory settings the system goes back to 100fsb, mine did (damn annoying Twinmos RAM modules)

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat... (Click me name to see me spec)

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
The northbridge fans spins fine. It inst getting close to rma time i just bought the thing like 2 weeks ago. The tech guy from msi thinks its my memory as well

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
I tried some corsair xms pc3500, still no 133fsb. Any otehr suggestions

endyen

Splendid
First off you are not running a Radeon are you?
Next thing to do is check to make sure none of the cpu pins are bent. Then check for a low impedence ground on the mobo by setting it up outside the case on some sort of insulating material. I use a piece of wood with a coating of plastic wrap. The last thing I can think of is to test the cpu in another system. Good luck!

possible software issues that could cause this problem.
1 Changing videocard manufacturer without a clean install.
2 Trying to change mobos with win xp without a clean install.
3 Trying to use a Radeon card on win98/me with 512 megs of ram or greater.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by endyen on 06/08/03 05:03 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
This isnt really an OS problem. It seems to be a motherboard problem. What happens is this. When I first started the comp from total install of all components, I tried to install at 133fsb. There were problems with the comp, and I cleared the CMOS. I guess it set it back to 100mhz fsb and I didnt notice it and I installed windows. Now If I try to run windows at 133fsb then it freezes the comp right after the part where it shows that little white bar before the winxp pro screen. If I try to boot off of a floppy it shuts off and doesnt turn back on for about 30 seconds. I was able to get into windows 1 time at 133fsb, but It froze about 30 seconds after

endyen

Splendid
So it's xp pro, good. Its not an upgrade or a reinstall, right. So now check for bent pins on the cpu, and then eliminate the low impedence ground on the mobo, by setting it up outside the case. If neither of these fix it, you have to check to make sure the cpu is not damaged, so see if you can test it in a working system. If the cpu is fine, about the only thing left is a flakey mobo. If you got it from a local shop you could take it back to them and they will take a quick look and probably give you a new board. Good luck.

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
My mobo wont be flakey, id murder it. I got it from accupc.com and it says i get 30 days to RMA it. Thats not very good

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
The jumpers right and the 4 pin is in.

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
Ya but Im not sure if hell want to switch out his cpu