error message in windows XP home

when I start my computer there is an error message like that:
"Non-System Disk or disk error
replace and strike any key when ready"

I don't have a cd-rom or floppy disk in the unity but when I start compare
this message!
I try to insert an emergency diskette but don't start!
how I do for restart my computer again?
please help me!

p.s.I have a Compaq 5000EA computer
p.s sorry for my writing,i'm italian

"[FrAnCeScA]" ha scritto:

> when I start my computer there is an error message like that:
> "Non-System Disk or disk error
> replace and strike any key when ready"
>
> I don't have a cd-rom or floppy disk in the unity but when I start compare
> this message!
> I try to insert an emergency diskette but don't start!
> how I do for restart my computer again?
> please help me!
>
> p.s.I have a Compaq 5000EA computer
> p.s sorry for my writing,i'm italian

I need a second emergency diskette too because my diskette doesn't start

you know where I find this in internet web site??

and I have two computer.
how I do to connect?

Hi,

If there is nothing in the floppy or CD drives, then you may have a failed
hard drive. Download a drive diagnostic utility from the manufacturer's web
site and use this to determine the state of the drive. It will tell you if
it is a candidate for replacement. Also, it would not hurt to open the case
and reseat the cabling as something may have come loose.

As to creating emergency boot disks for WinXP, see

Using the WinXP Boot floppy set:
http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Boot%20floppy

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

[FrAnCeScA] wrote:

> "[FrAnCeScA]" ha scritto:
>

>>when I start my computer there is an error message like that:
>>"Non-System Disk or disk error
>>replace and strike any key when ready"
>>
>>I don't have a cd-rom or floppy disk in the unity but when I start compare
>>this message!
>>I try to insert an emergency diskette but don't start!
>>how I do for restart my computer again?
>>please help me!
>>
>>p.s.I have a Compaq 5000EA computer
>>p.s sorry for my writing,i'm italian
>

> I need a second emergency diskette too because my diskette doesn't start
>
> you know where I find this in internet web site??
>
> and I have two computer.
> how I do to connect?

Do any messages about S.M.A.R.T. appear between turning the computer on
and the "Non-system disk..." message?

Do you know how to access your computer's CMOS settings?

Are you CMOS settings set to attempt booting from the floppy or CD/DVD
drive before attempting to boot from hard disc? The CMOS will need to be
set to first attempt a boot from removable media if the computer is
unable to boot from the hard drive.

Have you accessed http://bootdisk.com/ ?

Most late model computers include a Network Interface "Card" integrated
into the motherboard. TWO computers can be linked with a network
crossover cable that is available from SOME computer retailers.
Connecting three or more computers will require the more typical network
cables AND a hub. Hubs are often integrated into components that serve
as routers and occasionally a combined router & cable modem. Windows XP
includes a software "wizard" that should be able to help you configure
the network.

"RobertVA" ha scritto:

> [FrAnCeScA] wrote:
> >
> > "[FrAnCeScA]" ha scritto:
> >

> >>when I start my computer there is an error message like that:
> >>"Non-System Disk or disk error
> >>replace and strike any key when ready"
> >>
> >>I don't have a cd-rom or floppy disk in the unity but when I start compare
> >>this message!
> >>I try to insert an emergency diskette but don't start!
> >>how I do for restart my computer again?
> >>please help me!
> >>
> >>p.s.I have a Compaq 5000EA computer
> >>p.s sorry for my writing,i'm italian
> >

> > I need a second emergency diskette too because my diskette doesn't start
> >
> > you know where I find this in internet web site??
> >
> > and I have two computer.
> > how I do to connect?
>
> Do any messages about S.M.A.R.T. appear between turning the computer on
> and the "Non-system disk..." message?
>
> Do you know how to access your computer's CMOS settings?
>
> Are you CMOS settings set to attempt booting from the floppy or CD/DVD
> drive before attempting to boot from hard disc? The CMOS will need to be
> set to first attempt a boot from removable media if the computer is
> unable to boot from the hard drive.
>
> Have you accessed http://bootdisk.com/ ?
>
> Most late model computers include a Network Interface "Card" integrated
> into the motherboard. TWO computers can be linked with a network
> crossover cable that is available from SOME computer retailers.
> Connecting three or more computers will require the more typical network
> cables AND a hub. Hubs are often integrated into components that serve
> as routers and occasionally a combined router & cable modem. Windows XP
> includes a software "wizard" that should be able to help you configure
> the network.

I have two questions:
1)what is the CMOS settings?And I don't know how to access to that!
2)What is the download at the http://bootdisk.com/ that I do?

[FrAnCeScA] wrote:

> "RobertVA" ha scritto:
>

>>[FrAnCeScA] wrote:

>>>I need a second emergency diskette too because my diskette doesn't start
>>>
>>>you know where I find this in internet web site??
>>>
>>>and I have two computer.
>>>how I do to connect?
>>
>>Do any messages about S.M.A.R.T. appear between turning the computer on
>>and the "Non-system disk..." message?
>>
>>Do you know how to access your computer's CMOS settings?
>>
>>Are you CMOS settings set to attempt booting from the floppy or CD/DVD
>>drive before attempting to boot from hard disc? The CMOS will need to be
>>set to first attempt a boot from removable media if the computer is
>>unable to boot from the hard drive.
>>
>>Have you accessed http://bootdisk.com/ ?
>>
>>Most late model computers include a Network Interface "Card" integrated
>>into the motherboard. TWO computers can be linked with a network
>>crossover cable that is available from SOME computer retailers.
>>Connecting three or more computers will require the more typical network
>>cables AND a hub. Hubs are often integrated into components that serve
>>as routers and occasionally a combined router & cable modem. Windows XP
>>includes a software "wizard" that should be able to help you configure
>>the network.
>>

> I have two questions:
> 1)what is the CMOS settings?And I don't know how to access to that!
> 2)What is the download at the http://bootdisk.com/ that I do?

The computer OR motherboard manual should include directions for
entering and using CMOS setup. If you cannot locate the hardcopy manual,
some manufacturers make the manuals available on their web site.

CMOS settings control a variety of things including, but not limited to,
the order of drives the computer will atempt to boot from. Many
computers generate a message resembling "Press Delete to enter Setup"
during the Power On Self Test (POST). The POST in many computers will
execute a few relatively simple test of some major system components and
list the internal drives on the display. Many late model computers
utilize a standard hard drive testing method called SMART (I don't
recall the breakdown of the acronym) in an effort to detect a
deteriorating hard drive. A message resembling "S.M.A.R.T. capable but
BAD" means it's time to start shopping for a new hard drive. A hard
drive CAN become completely unusable on short notice even before the
first SMART "Bad" message.

For many years manufacturers shipped computers configured to attempt a
boot from the floppy disk before trying to boot from the hard drive.
More recent models can be configured to attempt booting from the Optical
drive (CD reader, CD Writer, DVD reader, DVD writer). Some of these
recent models can atempt boots from both types of removable media before
atempting to boot from the hard drive. All these boot attempts delay the
booting process and the CMOS could be configured to only attempt a boot
from the hard drive. If your computer was configured to boot faster by
skipping the floppy boot attempt the CMOS setup will need to be changed
so that the computer will check the floppy drive first.

As the site explains, bootdisk.com offers images for boot floppies for a
variety of operating systems. In addition to serving users who lost
their boot disks, users who didn't receive boot disks when purchasing
used computers and users who skipped the "make emergency startup disk"
step of their Windows instalation, the disks include provisions for CD
ROM operation that weren't included in the startup disks automaticly
generated by Windows 95. From a operating computer click the link
coresponding to you Operating System version to download the appropriate
boot disk image. You will have to be using a computer where you are
allowed to download and run executable files, which may not be possible
at some public terminals like those intended for web browser access.