Installing new video card

Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 25, 2004 5:25:02 PM

I have a lot of games that I love but can't play without a new video card, so
I bought a new one.. When I first installed it and tried turning on the
computer, the computer wouldn't boot. Power would flow through it, the fan
would turn on, but Windows wouldn't boot. I had to unplug the monitor from
the card, plug it back in, turn the computer off then on again and it would
boot fine. I installed the drivers and the computer ran fine. It recognized
the card (Radeon 9550) and said it worked fine. I turned the computer off for
the night and tried turning it back on the next day, but it wouldn't work. So
I tried the monitor thing again but that didn't work either. The only way
Windows would boot is if I removed the card completely and plugged the
monitor back into the onboard video. I've tried disabling the onboard video
and turning off the comp, putting the card in and turning it back on, but
that wouldn't work either.

What's going on and how can I fix this?

More about : installing video card

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 27, 2004 3:02:48 AM

Hi Me,

Your card might not be seated properly in the slot, and
you might not have the latest AGP/chipset drivers installed.

Do you have a friend who's installed a video card before
who can come over and look at the computer. I wouldn't
want you to fry your motherboard accidentally. :-s

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

"Me" <Me@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:79272727-556D-4ABC-A087-475A0C761CEC@microsoft.com...
| I have a lot of games that I love but can't play without a new video card, so
| I bought a new one.. When I first installed it and tried turning on the
| computer, the computer wouldn't boot. Power would flow through it, the fan
| would turn on, but Windows wouldn't boot. I had to unplug the monitor from
| the card, plug it back in, turn the computer off then on again and it would
| boot fine. I installed the drivers and the computer ran fine. It recognized
| the card (Radeon 9550) and said it worked fine. I turned the computer off for
| the night and tried turning it back on the next day, but it wouldn't work. So
| I tried the monitor thing again but that didn't work either. The only way
| Windows would boot is if I removed the card completely and plugged the
| monitor back into the onboard video. I've tried disabling the onboard video
| and turning off the comp, putting the card in and turning it back on, but
| that wouldn't work either.
|
| What's going on and how can I fix this?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 27, 2004 8:18:42 PM

First: Download the latest agp driver for your mobo
chipset, and install it. Download the latest Catalyst
drivers from www.ati.com (lower left corner of the first
page)

Second: When plug the new card, reset the bios (you dont
know how?*), restart, and configure again your bios
(previously to the reset, take note of the actual config),
for stability i suggest you to disable the FAST WRITE
option.

Third: When windows finish to load, in the desktop, go to
the display properties, and disable all the hardware
acceleration, restart, and now, you can install the latest
catalyst drivers.

*To reset the bios, look in your mobo manual, or simple
unplug the battery and plug it again.

Excuse my english please.

a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2004 6:56:43 AM

My last board had the AGP slot fail over time, and resulted in similar
symptoms. I eventually bought a new motherboard. That may not be the
case here, but I'd suggest trying the card in another computer (to see
if the problem is with it), and trying another card in your computer.
I don't know what motherboard you have. If it's old, you might have an
AGP compatibility problem because of that. A BIOS update might help.
You might also try to increase the AGP aperture -- that might help.

Eyal

Me wrote:
> I have a lot of games that I love but can't play without a new video card, so
> I bought a new one.. When I first installed it and tried turning on the
> computer, the computer wouldn't boot. Power would flow through it, the fan
> would turn on, but Windows wouldn't boot. I had to unplug the monitor from
> the card, plug it back in, turn the computer off then on again and it would
> boot fine. I installed the drivers and the computer ran fine. It recognized
> the card (Radeon 9550) and said it worked fine. I turned the computer off for
> the night and tried turning it back on the next day, but it wouldn't work. So
> I tried the monitor thing again but that didn't work either. The only way
> Windows would boot is if I removed the card completely and plugged the
> monitor back into the onboard video. I've tried disabling the onboard video
> and turning off the comp, putting the card in and turning it back on, but
> that wouldn't work either.
>
> What's going on and how can I fix this?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2004 1:09:05 PM

Go into BOIS and make sure it is initiating the video in
the AGP slot first.

September 2, 2004 9:37:02 AM

Hi Me,

Have you checked that your BIOS is running your new card
and not your on-board?

Another way to fix this is to make sure that your on-board
card is disabled in 'device manager' and un-install the
drivers. Just make sure you have an installer for these
drivers on disc or hard drive just in case!

Please e-mail me if this helps!

Shell / User
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

>Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
scid=FH;[LN];gms
http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
>MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
scid=sz;en-us;top
>My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I
confer any rights.

!