Installing new video card

I have a lot of games that I love but can't play without a new video card, so
I bought a new one.. When I first installed it and tried turning on the
computer, the computer wouldn't boot. Power would flow through it, the fan
would turn on, but Windows wouldn't boot. I had to unplug the monitor from
the card, plug it back in, turn the computer off then on again and it would
boot fine. I installed the drivers and the computer ran fine. It recognized
the card (Radeon 9550) and said it worked fine. I turned the computer off for
the night and tried turning it back on the next day, but it wouldn't work. So
I tried the monitor thing again but that didn't work either. The only way
Windows would boot is if I removed the card completely and plugged the
monitor back into the onboard video. I've tried disabling the onboard video
and turning off the comp, putting the card in and turning it back on, but
that wouldn't work either.

What's going on and how can I fix this?
5 answers Last reply
More about installing video card
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.discussion (More info?)

    Hi Me,

    Your card might not be seated properly in the slot, and
    you might not have the latest AGP/chipset drivers installed.

    Do you have a friend who's installed a video card before
    who can come over and look at the computer. I wouldn't
    want you to fry your motherboard accidentally. :-s

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "Me" <Me@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:79272727-556D-4ABC-A087-475A0C761CEC@microsoft.com...
    | I have a lot of games that I love but can't play without a new video card, so
    | I bought a new one.. When I first installed it and tried turning on the
    | computer, the computer wouldn't boot. Power would flow through it, the fan
    | would turn on, but Windows wouldn't boot. I had to unplug the monitor from
    | the card, plug it back in, turn the computer off then on again and it would
    | boot fine. I installed the drivers and the computer ran fine. It recognized
    | the card (Radeon 9550) and said it worked fine. I turned the computer off for
    | the night and tried turning it back on the next day, but it wouldn't work. So
    | I tried the monitor thing again but that didn't work either. The only way
    | Windows would boot is if I removed the card completely and plugged the
    | monitor back into the onboard video. I've tried disabling the onboard video
    | and turning off the comp, putting the card in and turning it back on, but
    | that wouldn't work either.
    |
    | What's going on and how can I fix this?
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.discussion (More info?)

    First: Download the latest agp driver for your mobo
    chipset, and install it. Download the latest Catalyst
    drivers from www.ati.com (lower left corner of the first
    page)

    Second: When plug the new card, reset the bios (you dont
    know how?*), restart, and configure again your bios
    (previously to the reset, take note of the actual config),
    for stability i suggest you to disable the FAST WRITE
    option.

    Third: When windows finish to load, in the desktop, go to
    the display properties, and disable all the hardware
    acceleration, restart, and now, you can install the latest
    catalyst drivers.

    *To reset the bios, look in your mobo manual, or simple
    unplug the battery and plug it again.

    Excuse my english please.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.discussion (More info?)

    My last board had the AGP slot fail over time, and resulted in similar
    symptoms. I eventually bought a new motherboard. That may not be the
    case here, but I'd suggest trying the card in another computer (to see
    if the problem is with it), and trying another card in your computer.
    I don't know what motherboard you have. If it's old, you might have an
    AGP compatibility problem because of that. A BIOS update might help.
    You might also try to increase the AGP aperture -- that might help.

    Eyal

    Me wrote:
    > I have a lot of games that I love but can't play without a new video card, so
    > I bought a new one.. When I first installed it and tried turning on the
    > computer, the computer wouldn't boot. Power would flow through it, the fan
    > would turn on, but Windows wouldn't boot. I had to unplug the monitor from
    > the card, plug it back in, turn the computer off then on again and it would
    > boot fine. I installed the drivers and the computer ran fine. It recognized
    > the card (Radeon 9550) and said it worked fine. I turned the computer off for
    > the night and tried turning it back on the next day, but it wouldn't work. So
    > I tried the monitor thing again but that didn't work either. The only way
    > Windows would boot is if I removed the card completely and plugged the
    > monitor back into the onboard video. I've tried disabling the onboard video
    > and turning off the comp, putting the card in and turning it back on, but
    > that wouldn't work either.
    >
    > What's going on and how can I fix this?
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.discussion (More info?)

    Go into BOIS and make sure it is initiating the video in
    the AGP slot first.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.discussion (More info?)

    Hi Me,

    Have you checked that your BIOS is running your new card
    and not your on-board?

    Another way to fix this is to make sure that your on-board
    card is disabled in 'device manager' and un-install the
    drivers. Just make sure you have an installer for these
    drivers on disc or hard drive just in case!

    Please e-mail me if this helps!

    Shell / User
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    >Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
    scid=FH;[LN];gms
    http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
    >MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
    scid=sz;en-us;top
    >My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I
    confer any rights.

    >"Me" <Me@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >| I have a lot of games that I love but can't play
    without a new video card, so
    >| I bought a new one.. When I first installed it and
    tried turning on the
    >| computer, the computer wouldn't boot. Power would flow
    through it, the fan
    >| would turn on, but Windows wouldn't boot. I had to
    unplug the monitor from
    >| the card, plug it back in, turn the computer off then
    on again and it would
    >| boot fine. I installed the drivers and the computer ran
    fine. It recognized
    >| the card (Radeon 9550) and said it worked fine. I
    turned the computer off for
    >| the night and tried turning it back on the next day,
    but it wouldn't work. So
    >| I tried the monitor thing again but that didn't work
    either. The only way
    >| Windows would boot is if I removed the card completely
    and plugged the
    >| monitor back into the onboard video. I've tried
    disabling the onboard video
    >| and turning off the comp, putting the card in and
    turning it back on, but
    >| that wouldn't work either.
    >|
    >| What's going on and how can I fix this?
    >

    >.

Graphics Cards Boot Computers Video Games