ActiveX and other setup problems with 7200X

I need some help. I'm going to dump a bunch of info here in hopes that
someone can give me a clue.

I've got one of the new Gateway 7200XL machines, with the new BTX
boards and 1 GB RAM. It's a 3.4 GHz P4 with Hyper Threading and XP
Pro. It's fast and quiet. That's the good part.

I'm having trouble installing ActiveX controls, such as the MS Office
upgrader, Windows upgrader, etc. And there are others, probably all
others. The Gateway site, for example, has a control that scans your
system to create a profile, or something. That doesn't work either.
Nor does the checker the pcpitstop.com has (which may be similar) or
its activex tester.

This is using IE 6. I've checked all security settings and they are
ok.

A log file is created in c:\windows\setupapi.log. This says:

[2005/02/23 18:35:07 3956.5]
#-198 Command line processed: "C:\Program Files\Internet
Explorer\iexplore.exe"
#-167 SPFILENOTIFY_NEEDMEDIA: Tag = "", Description= "", SourcePath =
"C:\DOCUME~1\Dave\LOCALS~1\Temp\ICD1.tmp", SourceFile = "pcpbios.exe",
Flags = 0x00000000.

#E169 SPFILENOTIFY_NEEDMEDIA: returned FILEOP_ABORT. Error 8: Not
enough storage is available to process this command.

#W187 Install failed, attempting to restore original files.
-----------------

A similar problem occurs in installing some hardware. For example, I
tried to upgrade my monitor from the default "Plug and Play" monitor
to the specific one for my LCD. The end of the log file says:

#I060 Set selected driver.
#I058 Selected best compatible driver.
#-124 Doing copy-only install of
"DISPLAY\VSC9011\5&1E248B33&0&10000083&01&00".
#-167 SPFILENOTIFY_NEEDMEDIA: Tag = "", Description= "ViewSonic
Monitor Installation Disk", SourcePath =
"c:\docume~1\owner\locals~1\temp\cdm\{a7bb4d33-a512-446f-b94f-a71625c3bfd8}",
SourceFile = "VX900-2.ICM", Flags = 0x00000000.
#E169 SPFILENOTIFY_NEEDMEDIA: returned FILEOP_ABORT. Error 8: Not
enough storage is available to process this command.
#W187 Install failed, attempting to restore original files.
------------------

Appears to be the same problem. It's recognizing the driver, but then
can't install it.

I've reinstalled XP Pro from the image that Gateway provides (they
don't provide real CDs anymore). I suspect either the image is bad or
I've got a hardware problem of some sort, but it's not detectable
anywhere else and is always a problem doing these things.

Before I detected the problem, I was successfully doing some fairly
intensive stuff, including video editing, so I'm pretty sure I don't
have a memory problem.

I've been emailing Gateway Tech Support and they made some
suggestions, but I'm pretty sure this is out of the bounds of their
database of ideas.

Does anyone have an idea?

Dave Larsen

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

"I was successfully doing some fairly intensive stuff, including video
editing..."
Any chance you are running low on hard drive space? Video files can take up
a lot of room.

Jack

"Dave Larsen" <davelars@ix.netcom.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> enough storage is available to process this command.
> #W187 Install failed, attempting to restore original files.
> ------------------
>
> Appears to be the same problem. It's recognizing the driver, but then
> can't install it.
>
> I've reinstalled XP Pro from the image that Gateway provides (they
> don't provide real CDs anymore). I suspect either the image is bad or
> I've got a hardware problem of some sort, but it's not detectable
> anywhere else and is always a problem doing these things.
>
> Before I detected the problem, I was successfully doing some fairly
> intensive stuff, including video editing, so I'm pretty sure I don't
> have a memory problem.
>
> I've been emailing Gateway Tech Support and they made some
> suggestions, but I'm pretty sure this is out of the bounds of their

FYI if anyone is interested, my problem is fixed.

Gateway is now shipping with this "BigFix" program, which alert you
when there are patches, etc.

Tonight when I booted up, it told me there was a "Sound Card Registry
Update Available for your Computer", and went on to say that this
would resolve an error message "possibly being displayed on your
computer": "Not enough storage is available to process this command".

Sure enough, after installing it, I am now able to download ActiveX
controls and one of the device updates that had failed before now
works.

Yay!

Dave