Joe

I have XP Pro SP2 using Media Player 9.

I tried to play an mpeg from a disk and a window opened saying the auther
need
verification, or words to that effect, I didn't take real notice , and the
mpeg would not play.

Now when I open MP9 the button appears in the taskbar but the player does
not open. Pressing and depressing of the button sends the words 'Media
Player' shooting up to the top right of the screen and disappears, pressing
again shoots it from the top right back to the taskbar !

Hope I have described it ok.
Anyone have any idea how to restore to normal? Re-installing MP9 did not
help.

Hi

Have you tried upgrading to WMP 10?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"joe" <joe@web.com> wrote in message news:de1nm9$rdg$1@ctb-nnrp2.saix.net...
>I have XP Pro SP2 using Media Player 9.
>
> I tried to play an mpeg from a disk and a window opened saying the auther
> need
> verification, or words to that effect, I didn't take real notice , and the
> mpeg would not play.
>
> Now when I open MP9 the button appears in the taskbar but the player does
> not open. Pressing and depressing of the button sends the words 'Media
> Player' shooting up to the top right of the screen and disappears,
> pressing
> again shoots it from the top right back to the taskbar !
>
> Hope I have described it ok.
> Anyone have any idea how to restore to normal? Re-installing MP9 did not
> help.

Joe

Sorry guys I jumped the gun a bit there.
A simple System Restore to the previous day solved the problem
Still would like to know what the heck went wrong!

"joe" <joe@web.com> wrote in message news:de1nm9$rdg$1@ctb-nnrp2.saix.net...
>I have XP Pro SP2 using Media Player 9.
>
> I tried to play an mpeg from a disk and a window opened saying the auther
> need
> verification, or words to that effect, I didn't take real notice , and the
> mpeg would not play.
>
> Now when I open MP9 the button appears in the taskbar but the player does
> not open. Pressing and depressing of the button sends the words 'Media
> Player' shooting up to the top right of the screen and disappears,
> pressing
> again shoots it from the top right back to the taskbar !
>
> Hope I have described it ok.
> Anyone have any idea how to restore to normal? Re-installing MP9 did not
> help.

With it unminimised (minimised will be greyed out on the taskbar's button r/c menu) r/c a blank spot on the taskbar and choose tile or cascade.

"joe" <joe@web.com> wrote in message news:de1nm9$rdg$1@ctb-nnrp2.saix.net...
>I have XP Pro SP2 using Media Player 9.
>
> I tried to play an mpeg from a disk and a window opened saying the auther
> need
> verification, or words to that effect, I didn't take real notice , and the
> mpeg would not play.
>
> Now when I open MP9 the button appears in the taskbar but the player does
> not open. Pressing and depressing of the button sends the words 'Media
> Player' shooting up to the top right of the screen and disappears, pressing
> again shoots it from the top right back to the taskbar !
>
> Hope I have described it ok.
> Anyone have any idea how to restore to normal? Re-installing MP9 did not
> help.

begin  trojan.vbs ... On Thursday 18 August 2005 03:32 am, joe had this to
say in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> Sorry guys I jumped the gun a bit there.
> A simple System Restore to the previous day solved the problem
> Still would like to know what the heck went wrong!

Well, good luck finding out. What you do know is that restoring some earlier
settings in the Windoze registry "fixed" the problem. The real problem
however is that the Windoze API allows for any program to write anything to
anywhere in your registry. I'd hazzard to guess that the lead programmer at
MickeyMouse couldn't tell you definitively what caused your problem. Let
alone these bozo MVPs around here.

--
Have you been MicroShafted today?
To mess up a Linux box, you need to work *at* it.