processes under task manager

August 18, 2005 8:27:01 AM

i have a application listed under my processes in task manager that is
creating hang apps. i was told by a customer service rep how to remove
processes from task manager, but i had to reset my computer a few days ago,
and i lost the instructions and need to perform this action once again. any
help would be much appreciated....thanks

More about : processes task manager

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 11:34:51 AM

Which application ? - Just stopping a process from actively running
isn't a real solution. Is it a program that you need ? There are many
start points for things to run & using MSConfig.Exe, Startup (TAB)
can display most non-Windows apps/services that you PC is running
each time it boots up.

"andy" <andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have a application listed under my processes in task manager that is
> creating hang apps. i was told by a customer service rep how to remove
> processes from task manager, but i had to reset my computer a few days
> ago,
> and i lost the instructions and need to perform this action once again.
> any
> help would be much appreciated....thanks
August 18, 2005 11:34:52 AM

thanks that is exactly what i needed. however, you stated that might not be a
proper solution. would you mind looking a little further into the issue? here
is the program name: SMax4PNP.exe. i have a dell 8400 that is operating under
windows XP home edition....thanks

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> Which application ? - Just stopping a process from actively running
> isn't a real solution. Is it a program that you need ? There are many
> start points for things to run & using MSConfig.Exe, Startup (TAB)
> can display most non-Windows apps/services that you PC is running
> each time it boots up.
>
> "andy" <andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i have a application listed under my processes in task manager that is
> > creating hang apps. i was told by a customer service rep how to remove
> > processes from task manager, but i had to reset my computer a few days
> > ago,
> > and i lost the instructions and need to perform this action once again.
> > any
> > help would be much appreciated....thanks

August 18, 2005 12:49:06 PM

That module is a support element for your SoundMax audio.
Along with drivers for Sound cards, you'll usually get a tool
that allows for customizations like an Equalizer, Spatial settings
and speaker configuration. In this case, it's a Watchdog that
resides in your System Tray. If you don't require it to be active
you can disable it from the MSConfig utility.

> thanks that is exactly what i needed. however, you stated that might not
> be a
> proper solution. would you mind looking a little further into the issue?
> here
> is the program name: SMax4PNP.exe. i have a dell 8400 that is operating
> under
> windows XP home edition....thanks
>
> "R. McCarty" wrote:
>
>> Which application ? - Just stopping a process from actively running
>> isn't a real solution. Is it a program that you need ? There are many
>> start points for things to run & using MSConfig.Exe, Startup (TAB)
>> can display most non-Windows apps/services that you PC is running
>> each time it boots up.
>>
>> "andy" <andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >i have a application listed under my processes in task manager that is
>> > creating hang apps. i was told by a customer service rep how to remove
>> > processes from task manager, but i had to reset my computer a few days
>> > ago,
>> > and i lost the instructions and need to perform this action once again.
>> > any
>> > help would be much appreciated....thanks

August 18, 2005 12:49:07 PM

okay, im almost done bugging you. i understand some of what you are saying.
could you sort of put it in laymans terms? for example, do i need to run it
if i do voice chat, games, cds, things like that? what sort of problems may i
encounter by disabling it?

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> That module is a support element for your SoundMax audio.
> Along with drivers for Sound cards, you'll usually get a tool
> that allows for customizations like an Equalizer, Spatial settings
> and speaker configuration. In this case, it's a Watchdog that
> resides in your System Tray. If you don't require it to be active
> you can disable it from the MSConfig utility.
>
> "andy" <andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > thanks that is exactly what i needed. however, you stated that might not
> > be a
> > proper solution. would you mind looking a little further into the issue?
> > here
> > is the program name: SMax4PNP.exe. i have a dell 8400 that is operating
> > under
> > windows XP home edition....thanks
> >
> > "R. McCarty" wrote:
> >
> >> Which application ? - Just stopping a process from actively running
> >> isn't a real solution. Is it a program that you need ? There are many
> >> start points for things to run & using MSConfig.Exe, Startup (TAB)
> >> can display most non-Windows apps/services that you PC is running
> >> each time it boots up.
> >>
> >> "andy" <andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 1:04:50 PM

Not bugging me - all information/learning with computers is like
climbing a ladder, unfortunately there isn't a top rung to stand on.

It is likely a configuration tool. If you look in Control Panel (w/
Classic View) you'll probably see the same icon there. Also, it
may be in the All Programs group as SoundMax. If you disable
it - that only stops it from running all the time. You can still get
access to it for changes anytime you want by accessing the app
from Control Panel or the Programs grouping.

> okay, im almost done bugging you. i understand some of what you are
> saying.
> could you sort of put it in laymans terms? for example, do i need to run
> it
> if i do voice chat, games, cds, things like that? what sort of problems
> may i
> encounter by disabling it?
>
> "R. McCarty" wrote:
>
>> That module is a support element for your SoundMax audio.
>> Along with drivers for Sound cards, you'll usually get a tool
>> that allows for customizations like an Equalizer, Spatial settings
>> and speaker configuration. In this case, it's a Watchdog that
>> resides in your System Tray. If you don't require it to be active
>> you can disable it from the MSConfig utility.
>>
>> "andy" <andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > thanks that is exactly what i needed. however, you stated that might
>> > not
>> > be a
>> > proper solution. would you mind looking a little further into the
>> > issue?
>> > here
>> > is the program name: SMax4PNP.exe. i have a dell 8400 that is operating
>> > under
>> > windows XP home edition....thanks

August 18, 2005 1:04:51 PM

damn...your good and obviously right. thanks so much for the help. i am going
to disable it from msconfig. i wonder why it is creating hang apps. my buddy
liked my computer so much, i helped him purchase an identical one. and he has
no problems with the sound card. weird...well thanks again!!

!