Hd problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubby2dood

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I HAVE A GATEWAY LAPTOP...AND THE HD WENT UP AND I BOUGHT A NEW IDE DRIVE AND WHEN I PUT IT INT HE LAPTOP THE LAPTOP WONT BOOT UP...WHEN I TAKE IT OUT IT WILL BOOT BUT GETS TO A SCREEN THAT SAYS NEEDS BOOT DRIVE OR DISK...CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT PLZ....
TY

tikrjee

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
assuming your problem is:
"With the hard drive inserted, the laptop does not boot. Without the hard drive, the laptop will POST, but then lets you know there's no boot drive"

Laptop and hard drive model numbers, please, for additional assistance.

tubby2dood

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
its a gateway 7330 and a pata drive wd scorpio blue 160gb 8mb/mo cache
5400 rpm tr/min

basically it says no boot disk or drive and wont go further...and u can insert the windows installation disk and it loads up the installation files and then ask for a drive and when u insert it the computer shuts down..like literaly just goes blank as soona s u put in in the connectors or push it in...

You can't plug in your hard disk while your machine is on, you have to shut it off, first. Install the disk, then boot the machine. You can damage components by doing that.

If your machine won't boot with the disk inserted, you have a connector problem - some lead on the connector is broken and shorting out.

tikrjee

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Aye...
the hard drive must be in the laptop PRIOR TO BOOTING the system. NEVER REMOVE IT unless you're replacing a defective unit.
Hopefully, you haven't done any permanent damage to the drive or the system and it's still usable. If so, make sure the system is off, insert the hard drive, fire up the laptop. You may have to reinstall windows at this point.
NEVER remove or attempt to insert a hard drive into a computer while it's on, for the drives sake.

Don't mean to be harsh. I'm just trying to give some stern sound advice and help prevent any further damage to your system.

tubby2dood

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
it was off when i inserted it and it wont boot when inserted...so i take it out and then it will boot but it doesnt go into anything just starts to looks like the bios screen but not sure but it asks for a drive,,,but it wont turn on when it is in,,,idk plz help

1quotemsg=227814,7,431697]Aye...
the hard drive must be in the laptop PRIOR TO BOOTING the system. NEVER REMOVE IT unless you're replacing a defective unit.
Hopefully, you haven't done any permanent damage to the drive or the system and it's still usable. If so, make sure the system is off, insert the hard drive, fire up the laptop. You may have to reinstall windows at this point.
NEVER remove or attempt to insert a hard drive into a computer while it's on, for the drives sake.

Don't mean to be harsh. I'm just trying to give some stern sound advice and help prevent any further damage to your system.[/quotemsg]

tikrjee

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
it's sounding like either something is shorting out when you insert the hard drive, the drive is defective, or the connection on the laptop is defective (could also cause shorting out). only things I can suggest at this point:

-You said the drive is IDE. Check the pins to make sure none of them have been bent or pushed in (could cause a short or it won't be found while POSTing)
-Make sure the hard drive is firmly and fully installed into the laptop (prior to boot, of course)
-If you have an external adapter for hard drives (either an enclosure, dock, or other USB device), try hooking the drive up to that device and make sure it works

If all else fails, return the drive (preferably exchange it for a new, boxed, working unit).
Definitely check the pins first. Don't know why it didn't occur to point it out earlier, sorry. I've run into an issue like this before. A client tried to upgrade their own hard drive and pushed in the drive slightly crooked, bending pins and made the laptop refuse to boot up. A torx driver, a pair of fine-tipped pliers, some steady hands, and the drive (and laptop) were fixed.
If any of the pins are bent or recessed, and you don't feel up to trying to fix them yourself (they are quite fragile), return it for a new drive or take it to a local computer repair shop for them to tackle it.

Keep me posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.