Connecting a monitor to a Sony Vaio Laptop (FX103)

I am trying to set my sony laptop up with an Iiyama monitor. I have installed
the correct driver for it and the monitor and driver are recognised in
Control Panel / Display / Settings / Advanced / Monitor (in monitor type).

However, there isn't a dual monitor graphical representation in the settings
area and I can't set the proper refresh rate and resolution for the separate
monitor, hence I get flicker. I don't want both monitors on at the same
time, just a flicker free display on the large monitor.

I've just put a new 60Gb HDD in it and a clean install of XP, but I can't
get it to work with the monitor which is annoying. I used to be able to do
this before I replaced the HDD.

Any help appreciated.
2 answers Last reply
More about connecting monitor sony vaio laptop fx103

    You might try MultiRes. It's a freeware tray utility that allows you to
    change resolution and refresh rate on any attached monitor. I've used it for
    years. http://www.entechtaiwan.net/util/multires.shtm
    Louis

    "Greeny" <Greeny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am trying to set my sony laptop up with an Iiyama monitor. I have
    installed
    > the correct driver for it and the monitor and driver are recognised in
    > Control Panel / Display / Settings / Advanced / Monitor (in monitor type).
    >
    > However, there isn't a dual monitor graphical representation in the
    settings
    > area and I can't set the proper refresh rate and resolution for the
    separate
    > monitor, hence I get flicker. I don't want both monitors on at the same
    > time, just a flicker free display on the large monitor.
    >
    > I've just put a new 60Gb HDD in it and a clean install of XP, but I can't
    > get it to work with the monitor which is annoying. I used to be able to
    do
    > this before I replaced the HDD.
    >
    > Any help appreciated.

    Thanks for that, I'll have a look.

    I seem to have found a solution by getting an updated driver for the video
    card. I still don't see the double monitor image in setup, but teh driver
    utility allows me to switch between monitors and set independent refresh and
    screen resolutions.

    Thanks for your help.

    "3c273" wrote:

    > You might try MultiRes. It's a freeware tray utility that allows you to
    > change resolution and refresh rate on any attached monitor. I've used it for
    > years. http://www.entechtaiwan.net/util/multires.shtm
    > Louis
    >
    > "Greeny" <Greeny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I am trying to set my sony laptop up with an Iiyama monitor. I have
    > installed
    > > the correct driver for it and the monitor and driver are recognised in
    > > Control Panel / Display / Settings / Advanced / Monitor (in monitor type).
    > >
    > > However, there isn't a dual monitor graphical representation in the
    > settings
    > > area and I can't set the proper refresh rate and resolution for the
    > separate
    > > monitor, hence I get flicker. I don't want both monitors on at the same
    > > time, just a flicker free display on the large monitor.
    > >
    > > I've just put a new 60Gb HDD in it and a clean install of XP, but I can't
    > > get it to work with the monitor which is annoying. I used to be able to
    > do
    > > this before I replaced the HDD.
    > >
    > > Any help appreciated.

Laptops Monitors Sony Vaio Windows XP