Connecting a monitor to a Sony Vaio Laptop (FX103)

August 18, 2005 9:03:02 AM

I am trying to set my sony laptop up with an Iiyama monitor. I have installed
the correct driver for it and the monitor and driver are recognised in
Control Panel / Display / Settings / Advanced / Monitor (in monitor type).

However, there isn't a dual monitor graphical representation in the settings
area and I can't set the proper refresh rate and resolution for the separate
monitor, hence I get flicker. I don't want both monitors on at the same
time, just a flicker free display on the large monitor.

I've just put a new 60Gb HDD in it and a clean install of XP, but I can't
get it to work with the monitor which is annoying. I used to be able to do
this before I replaced the HDD.

Any help appreciated.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b C Monitor
August 18, 2005 3:20:38 PM

You might try MultiRes. It's a freeware tray utility that allows you to
change resolution and refresh rate on any attached monitor. I've used it for
years. http://www.entechtaiwan.net/util/multires.shtm
Louis

"Greeny" <Greeny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to set my sony laptop up with an Iiyama monitor. I have
installed
> the correct driver for it and the monitor and driver are recognised in
> Control Panel / Display / Settings / Advanced / Monitor (in monitor type).
>
> However, there isn't a dual monitor graphical representation in the
settings
> area and I can't set the proper refresh rate and resolution for the
separate
> monitor, hence I get flicker. I don't want both monitors on at the same
> time, just a flicker free display on the large monitor.
>
> I've just put a new 60Gb HDD in it and a clean install of XP, but I can't
> get it to work with the monitor which is annoying. I used to be able to
do
> this before I replaced the HDD.
>
> Any help appreciated.
August 19, 2005 7:37:01 AM

Thanks for that, I'll have a look.

I seem to have found a solution by getting an updated driver for the video
card. I still don't see the double monitor image in setup, but teh driver
utility allows me to switch between monitors and set independent refresh and
screen resolutions.

Thanks for your help.