Would this fit? Continuing the cd-rom replacement on the o..

LITE-ON LTR 24102M CD-RW drive for sale used $15

In the GW P2 266 tower. The rounded, curved puppy with the pop off face
plate? Would it run with Win95 OS2? I'm prepared to do a win98 fresh
install.

That is the ad in the company's for sale board. I'm not selling it. I
might be buying it though. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Scott

zZero,

I've installed similar CD burners in my Win95a system with no problem
(drivers not required). I suggest you check out Office Max. Typically
they have a new CD-RW (Lite on and other brand names) for $19.95 after
rebate.

Scott

zZero wrote:

> LITE-ON LTR 24102M CD-RW drive for sale used $15
>
> In the GW P2 266 tower. The rounded, curved puppy with the pop off face
> plate? Would it run with Win95 OS2? I'm prepared to do a win98 fresh
> install.

its got a cel 466 cpu with an adapter to fit it to the MB.

The original CD-ROM drive in a GW P2 box has a standard form factor, 5 1/4 wide
and half height. The Liteon drive should fit, but, of course, it won't have the
glamourous curved bezel. Given that the CPU speed is only 266MHz, odds are that
CD burning software will not be able to sustain the maximum burning speed of 8x.
But you can try, and make sure you leave the computer undisturbed while it is
burning else you'll end up with a plastic coaster... Ben Myers

On 24 Jan 2005 08:07:53 -0800, "zZero" <jsk2@excite.com> wrote:

>LITE-ON LTR 24102M CD-RW drive for sale used $15
>
>In the GW P2 266 tower. The rounded, curved puppy with the pop off face
>plate? Would it run with Win95 OS2? I'm prepared to do a win98 fresh
>install.

Better then... Ben

On 24 Jan 2005 17:34:34 -0800, "zZero" <jsk2@excite.com> wrote:

>its got a cel 466 cpu with an adapter to fit it to the MB.

After dinner tonight on the way out of the parking lot I spied a small
computer shop where I picked up a cd rom from a old Compaq for $5.
Had to drop the PS to get it in. Probably a 32X'er. I fired it up with
the PS sitting atop a box. Worked just fine. Whilst pushing the start
button w/o the front face plate and using a screw driverto push, the
button fell in with a little plastic nub coming off. After monkeying
with it awhile trying to recover it I destroyed it (crazy glue didn't
do the trick). Though I got it back in and it held, it did not work. I
now need the wiring harness and plastic switch plate. What are the odds
of finding something like that. Maybe the harness, but the two light ,
one button plate? I'll settle for anything that works. Back to the mom
& pop (twentysomething) on the morrow....

Call GW tech support to see if they still have these modules available. They
were a frequent replacement on those old models and gateway kept huge
stockpiles available to ship out as non-warranty items. So as long as you
are the original owner of the machine and they still have some available to
send out, they will probably send it to you free of charge, even though you
are likely 5 years outside of your warranty. I know they still had some
about 2 and a half years ago ( about the same time our company lost the
contract for phone support to India).