Formating drive C.

Hi, I went to format my C drive ( I have a second drive F) but was unable to
do so. I got the message>
Verifying 76308M
Cannot format this drive because Volume is in use by another process. Format
may run if this volume is run first, ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THE VOLUME WOULD
THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on the volume.
Never seen this before... help please..Bryn
6 answers Last reply
More about formating drive

    Bryn wrote:

    > Hi, I went to format my C drive ( I have a second drive F) but was
    > unable to do so. I got the message>
    > Verifying 76308M
    > Cannot format this drive because Volume is in use by another process.
    > Format may run if this volume is run first, ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THE
    > VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on
    > the volume. Never seen this before... help please..Bryn

    Is C: the system file (where Windows is installed)? If so, you can't
    format it from within Windows. Post back with more details about
    exactly what you are doing and the configuration of your computer.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Take this link and look at How To Format

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Bryn" <brynevans@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I went to format my C drive ( I have a second drive F) but was unable
    > to do so. I got the message>
    > Verifying 76308M
    > Cannot format this drive because Volume is in use by another process.
    > Format may run if this volume is run first, ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THE
    > VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on the
    > volume.
    > Never seen this before... help please..Bryn

    Hi, I have XP Pro on my machine, wish to change to XP Home. I went into
    Command Prompt. typed in Format C: I have a second hard drive hard drive F
    which i disconnected before attempting to format. My file system is NTFS.
    Bryn

    Bryn wrote:

    > Hi, I have XP Pro on my machine, wish to change to XP Home. I went
    > into Command Prompt. typed in Format C: I have a second hard drive
    > hard drive F
    > which i disconnected before attempting to format. My file system is
    > NTFS. Bryn

    OK, you can't format the drive from which you are working. You will need
    to do a clean install. Boot with the XP Home cd and take the install.
    You should delete the system partition (C:), create a new partition,
    format it NTFS, and install Windows. Here's a link to help:

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Hi Guys, Thanks for the help, advice taken and job done,all in working
    order, thanks again Bryn

    Bryn wrote:

    > Hi Guys, Thanks for the help, advice taken and job done,all in working
    > order, thanks again Bryn

    Super. Glad you got it working. Thanks for taking the time to let us
    know.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers