SFC /purgecache

When should use Sfc /purgecache?

Brock
--
Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare.
Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare.
2 answers Last reply
More about purgecache

    I don't know that there is a time/need to purge it. Maybe if
    your System partition's disk space is tight you could purge it
    to recapture around 500 Megabytes of space. On my PC
    I've redirected it to an alternate partition and just leave it fully
    populated. It's just a source path for Windows File Protection
    to obtain the correct version files. You can purge it and until
    the first call for WFP happens it can remain empty.

    "Brother Brock" <Nobodyknows@unknown.com> wrote in message
    > When should use Sfc /purgecache?
    >
    > Brock
    > --
    > Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare.
    > Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare.

    If you suspect the dllcache directory has become corrupted, run SFC /PURGECACHE.
    SFC will delete the contents of the dllcache directory, rescan all Windows files, and
    repopulate the dllcache directory with verified file versions.

    Windows File Protection and Windows
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/winlogo/drvsign/wfp.mspx

    Description of Windows XP System File Checker (Sfc.exe)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP