SFC /purgecache

August 18, 2005 10:53:00 PM

When should use Sfc /purgecache?

Brock
--
Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare.
Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare.

More about : sfc purgecache

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 10:53:01 PM

I don't know that there is a time/need to purge it. Maybe if
your System partition's disk space is tight you could purge it
to recapture around 500 Megabytes of space. On my PC
I've redirected it to an alternate partition and just leave it fully
populated. It's just a source path for Windows File Protection
to obtain the correct version files. You can purge it and until
the first call for WFP happens it can remain empty.

"Brother Brock" <Nobodyknows@unknown.com> wrote in message
> When should use Sfc /purgecache?
>
> Brock
> --
> Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare.
> Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare.

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 10:53:01 PM

If you suspect the dllcache directory has become corrupted, run SFC /PURGECACHE.
SFC will delete the contents of the dllcache directory, rescan all Windows files, and
repopulate the dllcache directory with verified file versions.

Windows File Protection and Windows
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/winlogo/drvsign/wfp.mspx

Description of Windows XP System File Checker (Sfc.exe)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP