Andy

Hi all Im thinking of purchasing and XPS system shortly. I was
wondering if any of you here could explain to me the option they are
offering now. Its the option of a first hard drive of 74gb at 10000
rpm I do understand that is a very fast harddrive. And the second hdd,
is a 160gb with native command queuing, I guess what Im wondering is
what is the offer all about. As I understand it, the first drive would
access data and the like very very fast and the second drive would be
mostly for storage.. If anyone is familiar with these new terms at
least new to me I would really appreciate someone explaining to me.
Also the system is offering a single or double tv tuner and Im
wondering if I get comcast for instance do I have to hook up anything
other than the cable on the modem to see television while I am on the
computer...Well thanks in advance to all of you here and have a great
day....Andy

Andy wrote:
> Hi all Im thinking of purchasing and XPS system shortly. I was
> wondering if any of you here could explain to me the option they are
> offering now. Its the option of a first hard drive of 74gb at 10000
> rpm I do understand that is a very fast harddrive. And the second hdd,
> is a 160gb with native command queuing, I guess what Im wondering is
> what is the offer all about. As I understand it, the first drive would
> access data and the like very very fast and the second drive would be
> mostly for storage.. If anyone is familiar with these new terms at
> least new to me I would really appreciate someone explaining to me.
> Also the system is offering a single or double tv tuner and Im
> wondering if I get comcast for instance do I have to hook up anything
> other than the cable on the modem to see television while I am on the
> computer...Well thanks in advance to all of you here and have a great
> day....Andy

To understand Native Command Queuing check this article:

http://www.seagate.com/content/docs/pdf/whitepaper/D2c_tech_paper_intc-stx_sata_ncq.pdf

http://www.seagate.com/products/interface/sata/native.html

--
Danny Kile
Certified FCC, ISCET, A+ , Network+

Please reply to the Newsgroup ONLY
Your cooperation is appreciated.

"Andy" <bruinfan50@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hi all Im thinking of purchasing and XPS system shortly. I was
> wondering if any of you here could explain to me the option they are
> offering now. Its the option of a first hard drive of 74gb at 10000
> rpm I do understand that is a very fast harddrive. And the second hdd,
> is a 160gb with native command queuing, I guess what Im wondering is
> what is the offer all about. As I understand it, the first drive would
> access data and the like very very fast and the second drive would be
> mostly for storage.. If anyone is familiar with these new terms at
> least new to me I would really appreciate someone explaining to me.
> Also the system is offering a single or double tv tuner and Im
> wondering if I get comcast for instance do I have to hook up anything
> other than the cable on the modem to see television while I am on the
> computer...Well thanks in advance to all of you here and have a great
> day....Andy

Someone else pointed you in the right direction on the NCQ question.

On the Tuner card(s) question you'll need a separate cable TV feed. The data
feed that goes to your cable modem does not provide the television signal.
You can use either a direct cable hooked to the card or go through a "set
top" cable box. If you opt for dual tuners and want to use a set top box
you'll need two. (stbs)

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Ummm... I have cable and cable internet, I split the line to the cable modem
and have it attached to my TV tuner card. it works just fine for
unscrambled channels. And this is perfectly legal, BTW.

"HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@gmail.com> wrote in message

> "Andy" <bruinfan50@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all Im thinking of purchasing and XPS system shortly. I was
>> wondering if any of you here could explain to me the option they are
>> offering now. Its the option of a first hard drive of 74gb at 10000
>> rpm I do understand that is a very fast harddrive. And the second hdd,
>> is a 160gb with native command queuing, I guess what Im wondering is
>> what is the offer all about. As I understand it, the first drive would
>> access data and the like very very fast and the second drive would be
>> mostly for storage.. If anyone is familiar with these new terms at
>> least new to me I would really appreciate someone explaining to me.
>> Also the system is offering a single or double tv tuner and Im
>> wondering if I get comcast for instance do I have to hook up anything
>> other than the cable on the modem to see television while I am on the
>> computer...Well thanks in advance to all of you here and have a great
>> day....Andy
>>

> Someone else pointed you in the right direction on the NCQ question.
>
> On the Tuner card(s) question you'll need a separate cable TV feed. The
> data feed that goes to your cable modem does not provide the television
> signal. You can use either a direct cable hooked to the card or go
> through a "set top" cable box. If you opt for dual tuners and want to use
> a set top box you'll need two. (stbs)

> I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
> I was just trying to help.
> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
> advice herein.
> No warranty is expressed or implied.
> Your mileage may vary.
> See store for details. :)
>
> Remove shoes to E-mail.

Guess Who,
I think some cable systems using a digital signal, require a cable box to
view TV channels. I know here in SE Michigan, the service level/type I have
for cable TV from Comcast, will not work through the "cable ready" feature
of my TV's. The service I had 5 years ago, would. So now, I need to rent
boxes from them, even to view the local TV channels.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

"Guess Who" <chippe01@REMOVETHIShotmail.com> wrote in message
Ummm... I have cable and cable internet, I split the line to the cable modem
and have it attached to my TV tuner card. it works just fine for
unscrambled channels. And this is perfectly legal, BTW.

| "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@gmail.com> wrote in message
| >
| > "Andy" <bruinfan50@aol.com> wrote in message
| >> Hi all Im thinking of purchasing and XPS system shortly. I was
| >> wondering if any of you here could explain to me the option they are
| >> offering now. Its the option of a first hard drive of 74gb at 10000
| >> rpm I do understand that is a very fast harddrive. And the second hdd,
| >> is a 160gb with native command queuing, I guess what Im wondering is
| >> what is the offer all about. As I understand it, the first drive would
| >> access data and the like very very fast and the second drive would be
| >> mostly for storage.. If anyone is familiar with these new terms at
| >> least new to me I would really appreciate someone explaining to me.
| >> Also the system is offering a single or double tv tuner and Im
| >> wondering if I get comcast for instance do I have to hook up anything
| >> other than the cable on the modem to see television while I am on the
| >> computer...Well thanks in advance to all of you here and have a great
| >> day....Andy
| >>

| > Someone else pointed you in the right direction on the NCQ question.
| >
| > On the Tuner card(s) question you'll need a separate cable TV feed. The
| > data feed that goes to your cable modem does not provide the television
| > signal. You can use either a direct cable hooked to the card or go
| > through a "set top" cable box. If you opt for dual tuners and want to
use
| > a set top box you'll need two. (stbs)
| >
| > --
| >
| > I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
| > I was just trying to help.
| > Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
| > advice herein.
| > No warranty is expressed or implied.
| > Your mileage may vary.
| > See store for details. :)
| >
| > Remove shoes to E-mail.

"Guess Who" <chippe01@REMOVETHIShotmail.com> wrote in message
| Ummm... I have cable and cable internet, I split the line to the cable
modem
| and have it attached to my TV tuner card. it works just fine for
| unscrambled channels. And this is perfectly legal, BTW.

ummm. You split the cable.

That would be the separate feed for the tuner card I mentioned.

The OP asked "do I have to hook up anything other than the cable on the
modem to see television..."

Mine/yours/his television signal isn't provided by the feed to the cable
modem just as I said.

Did someone mention it being illegal?

Remove shoes to E-mail.

HillBillyBuddhist wrote:

> <snip>
>
> ummm. You split the cable.
>
> That would be the separate feed for the tuner card I mentioned.
>
> The OP asked "do I have to hook up anything other than the cable on the
> modem to see television..."
>
> Mine/yours/his television signal isn't provided by the feed to the cable
> modem just as I said.
>
> Did someone mention it being illegal?

(Prefaced with the fact that we PAID for both cable TV
and cable Internet):

I don't recall the exact setup. but I'm pretty sure the
TV leg had some type of attenuator, so as not to overload
the signal.

Notan

"RRR_News" <nospam@isp.com> wrote:

>Guess Who,
>I think some cable systems using a digital signal, require a cable box to
>view TV channels. I know here in SE Michigan, the service level/type I have
>for cable TV from Comcast, will not work through the "cable ready" feature
>of my TV's. The service I had 5 years ago, would. So now, I need to rent
>boxes from them, even to view the local TV channels.

Same here. It is the "digital" half of the present mix Comcast
offers for the TV side.

The advantage is that decoding of the premium channels is handled
at the cable company's serving facility and not in the box you
have to rent from them.

Possible solution to the OP's desires would be to put a splitter
on the cable line *after* the cable box to split the feed from
the cable box between the TV and his computer. Still means the
cable box has to be tuned to the station he wants to watch on his
computer, but ...

Dunno if that would create any attenuation problems in the TV
part of the cable feed. Or any domestic disruption in the
household. ;->
--
OJ III