Can't install MSN Desktop Search

August 18, 2005 10:17:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.search,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"We're sorry, but Windows Desktop Search has detected a problem with your
desktop index and cannot continue. Please reinstall MSN Search Toolbar here:
http://toolbar.msn.com
"

This is the message that pops up whenever i try to install this software on
my Win XP SP2, which has the latest updates from MS. Before trying on the
real computer, i tested MSNDS on exactly the same Win xp inside Virtual PC
2004 and everything was ok. Before installation i disabled virus scanner and
any other windows built-in indexing services.

This is my computer:

Windows XP Pro + .Net Framework 1.1
2.4 Intel Celeron
786 MB of Ram
SQL Server 2000 (disabled while installing MSNDS)
Google Toolbar (does this harm MSNDS? i also removed it)
DAP ( i disabled that too)

It is very strange to know that MSNDS works inside Virtual PC but not on the
real PC with exactly the same OS's. What should i do?

Any help is greatly appreciated
August 22, 2005 3:52:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.search,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I've had the same problem from the first version and *still* haven't got a
fix for this.... If you do find a fix feel free to post it here.

CK