DjKlown

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
Im looking to upgrade my current config to boost performance with games and basic everyday file compression and stuff of the sort.

My current config is:
Mobo- Iwill DBD100
CPU- Dual P3 500 Katami core
RAM- Generic 256 PC100
VidCard- ATI AIW 128 PCI 16meg
case- generic
HD- 1x Maxtor 27 gig 7200RPM (main, 1x Maxtor 40 gig 5400RPM(file storage)
CDrom- Compag 24x
Burner- Yamaha 24x
Floppy- Generic
PSU- 300watt stock with case

I dont really want to spend more than $700-800 US dollars. I just need a quick and easy upgrade that will be able to upgrade within a year. Im building a new computer when the new socket from Intel comes out(1Q of 2004?). So this upgrade doesnt have to be bells and whistles.

I was looking at the price difference between Intel and AMD and since price is a huge factor in this i have decided to go with AMD. Im not too familiar with AMD and their crappy PR rating system and the different chipsets they have to offer.

The only items i want to upgrade at this time are the Mobo(different socket), Processor, Vid card, memory and PSU.

This is what i want out of this system:
VidCard: Hercules 9800 pro 128meg
PSU: Antec TrueBlue 480 Watt PSU(to use in future system hopefully)
CPU: AMD 2500+ "Barton" (not sure about this CPU)
Mobo: ?
Memory: Atleast 512 Meg (generic is fine for me for this system and I dont know what speed because of the mobo and cpu as of yet)

I plan on making/ordering these parts within the next couple of weeks.

Can you please help direct me in the right direction in what i need and the cheapest places for them.

FYI-The games i like to play are CS and WC3 and when HL2 or D3 come out those will be on my list too.

Thanks,
Mike

Ryan_Plus_One

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2003
What exactly do you want? Do you want someone to hold your hand while you go shopping and link you to every part you listed? You seem to have it figured out pretty good there, so just go shop! I recommend an MSI K7N2-Delta Mobo, which can run around $125.

<font color=red>Now that I am running RAID 5 I find myself praying for a hard drive failure.</font color=red>

Auburn9698

Champion
I think he's just looking for a vote of confidence.

Looks cool, DJ. The place you'll see recommended the most on here is <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com" target="_new">http://www.newegg.com</A>. Looks like you're in Illinois, so point your browser there and pull out the credit card.

<A HREF="http://www.phototalk.net/photos/showgallery.php?cat=3394&ppuser=663" target="_new">My phototalk gallery</A>
<font color=blue>War</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Eagle</font color=orange>

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
I'll second the MSI board. The 2500+ Barton is probably the best value you're going to find right now. Looks like you've made some good choices.
-Brett

DjKlown

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
Yea Auburn hit it on the head, im just making sure im making the right decision on these parts. The only one i havent really found any place to buy the Hercules 9800 pro except when i did a search on pricewatch. ill take a look at that MSI board.

Anyone else have any suggestions?
Oh yea is the 2500+ the first chip that had the barton core on it?